What happens to the Uninsured????

Let's see. In California: Anthem Blue Cross, Blue Shield, Health Net, PacifiCare.

Just call any of them directly and you can talk to a captive salesperson.

They are all direct employees. I thought the OP was talking about statutory employees... such as MassMutual, Mutual of Omaha, NYL and others (like eHealthInsurance) have.

I wonder how many W2 sales agents the two Blues have in CA, compared to their independent agent sales force?

I've never met a direct salesperson from one of the major carriers. I know all of their agent reps here, but none of them are engaged in direct production but instead drive all over Northern CA giving seminars and meeting with agents and brokers.

The Asshole (aka The Jackass)

And both of the RSMs in this area came via the same channel.

Rick

The Anthem rep has had the job for 15 years so I don't know where she came from... but last month she left for a job in the "wellness" area of Wellpoint...and they have not filled the position.

The Shield rep was there for about six or seven years and recently got promoted to the supervisor of reps and they moved a rep from the LA area up here.

The Aetna rep was a colleague of mine at Colonial for five years. She loves her job now (she hated selling!)

These must be good jobs in Blue-land since the people seem to stay in them for a long term. Sounds like a fun thing... drive around and take agents to lunch.

The Jackass (aka The AH)

It's called HIPAA - required by federal law in all 50 states. Gotta buy it within 63 days of loss of group coverage. Must accept and cover all pre-existing conditions.

I am 61, my wife is 62. We are not exactly the "working poor". Two years ago, we lost our health insurance coverage. Because of some health conditions, (mine only being high blood pressure and a varicose vein) we were both denied coverage by many companies.

Finally decided to try the HIPAA route and we could qualify, price $4,700 per month for the 2 of us. I am sorry, but there are tremendous problems with a system that would allow this type of pricing-$55,000 per year for a man and wife.

We finally created a group policy, and are getting by with a $5,000 deductible. Just hoping to make it to 65, as many seniors that come into our office are hoping for.

Without Medicare and Social Security where would this country be for our Seniors?

This may be viewed as a "liberal" agenda, but I would much rather spend our money on our people than on somebody else's country.

Joe Moore
National Senior Benefits
Asurco Insurance Marketing
PO Box 1954
Morristown, TN 37816
1-800-226-1004

Finally decided to try the HIPAA route and we could qualify, price $4,700 per month for the 2 of us. I am sorry, but there are tremendous problems with a system that would allow this type of pricing-$55,000 per year for a man and wife.

Something does not make sense with this statement.

What about AccessTN? The max rate is only 200% above commercial level. I know AccessTN is fairly new , but there was a pool in TN for some time now.

The only states where I hear crazy statements like this is Liberal GI states (GI does not work) , or states that have HIPPA plans because they are waiting for risk pools to catch on apparently.

In CA, about $1400 a month for you both. Not sure why TN is so high, that is conversion plan territory pricing.

Forming a group is another option, I do quite well with spousal and partner groups in CA. Premium is about the same as the HIPAA rate for same age decent group plan.

In CA, about $1400 a month for you both. .

Does anyone here think that maybe a $16,800 a year health insurance premium is a bit much? Or is it just me?

[Insert deity name... or favorite obscenity here] I hate the greed and avarice of the healthcare industry... and the government regulators that help perpetuate it.

The Jackass (aka The AH)

Does anyone here think that maybe a $16,800 a year health insurance premium is a bit much? Or is it just me?

I agree, however it depends on the details. The ages, family size, benefit level, deductible.

If it is a 62 year old couple on a $0 deducible that is high risk - maybe that is a great deal.

One of the biggest issues in Health Care is FIRST DOLLAR benefits and LOW DEDUCTIBLES. People want 1950's deductibles in 2008. If Americans would actually save $5000 - a lot of this would go away, but that would mean less bling bling and maybe a TV smaller than 60"

Back