What happens when you don’t qualify for Medicaid and make too little for obamacare?

InsurancePimp_

Super Genius
I have a client with 2 kids that applied for Medicaid but got denied, and she can’t get a subsidy to get obamacare for cheap bc it says she should be on Medicaid.

do I still sign her up with a low income and if so, when she does her taxes, what happens?

I think it’s silly that they would make her pay everything back in premiums if she makes only 15k a year with 2 kids.

Thoughts?

I have a client with 2 kids that applied for Medicaid but got denied, and she can’t get a subsidy to get obamacare for cheap bc it says she should be on Medicaid.

do I still sign her up with a low income and if so, when she does her taxes, what happens?

I think it’s silly that they would make her pay everything back in premiums if she makes only 15k a year with 2 kids.

Thoughts?

If denied by medicaid, state that in the marketplace app, and they will be approved, and should be awarded tax credits too. I've never heard of a real low income family having to repay the tax credits

If denied by medicaid, state that in the marketplace app, and they will be approved, and should be awarded tax credits too. I've never heard of a real low income family having to repay the tax credits

that is what I’m thinking, she lost her hudsban last year and her income went to zero. She got denied Medicaid. So it’s kind of weird that they would ask her to pay

I would tell her to reapply for Medicaid. She should qualify.
She may have checked a wrong box on the form or there was some erroneous information processed. I used to work at a county Medicaid office years ago and occasionally there were issues.

What state? Here in FL, if you make under a certain amount you can’t get a subsidy or Medicaid. Medicaid is for 65+, disabled and children here.

What state? Here in FL, if you make under a certain amount you can’t get a subsidy or Medicaid. Medicaid is for 65+, disabled and children here.

she is here in FL, I told her to reapply again, bc if I give her ACA plan, they won’t give a subsidy, and when she does her taxes it seems like they would take her tax return to pay for her insurance .

I might be wrong

Florida didn’t expand Medicaid so it just sounds like she falls in that income bracket that gets screwed.

The trick is to have her refile last years taxes as married and filling separate and a final return for her husband (include a copy of death cert). Disclose that she should check with an account to CYA. That way she files with her income only and should get medicaid in 2020 as household income is below the thresholds.

The Skipper

The trick is to have her refile last years taxes as married and filling separate and a final return for her husband (include a copy of death cert). Disclose that she should check with an account to CYA. That way she files with her income only and should get medicaid in 2020 as household income is below the thresholds.

The Skipper

she is in FL though and under 65.

Back