What if car was grouped wrong from manufacturer?

mark silvernail

Hi

I just purchased a 2015 Dodge Charger v6 AWD and was amazed by the price of insurance. When I purchased it I was aware that this car came with many different engine and performance packages. I questioned the agent and she said the manufacturer assigns a group number to the car and this was assigned a 48 where my CRV was a 20? I then stopped at the dealer and took a picture of there most high performance 80K 800 HP Dodge Hellcat and that grouped at only a 52? My AWD V^ verse a 800 HP rear wheel drive race car didnt seem right. I found a site to run numbers and the car built before mine and after was high performance and mine was just the base model. The agent couldn't understand especially when she just insured a 75K brand new Jaguar that came back a 25? The other thing that raised concerns was she saw that my vehicle sold for 48K new and it did not sticker was 32k. Any suggestion on how to get this changed or am I just stuck.
Thanks for any help you can provide

Those "group" numbers are not assigned by the manufacturers they are assigned by the insurance industry through a national clearing house of insurance data called the Insurance Services Office.

The following article will give you an idea about how it works:

What Do ISO Rating Symbols for Auto Insurance Mean?

So, yes, you are pretty well stuck in that system. Your car will remain a class 48 forever. What you can do is keep your driving record clear of accidents and tickets and shop for more competitive rates prior to each renewal.

Back