What if your state does not offer UMPD or a collision deductible waiver?

carlton94563

Expert
My state does not offer UMPD, though they do require UM and UIM, which baffles me.

How do I purchase a supplemental UMPD coverage? I sometimes drive in high-risk area where something like 35% of the drivers have no insurance at all.

I would think in such a state you would need to carry collision or comprehensive. I represent two states which DO have UM PD so someone else may be able to correct/clarify.

Because it costs a lot more to fix a person than a car...

But like Wolfpack said, carry collision and comprehensive then. You'll be out your deductible, although even UMPD carries a small deductible here. I'm not sure how they classify an accident in that case, hopefully as not at fault.

My state does not offer UMPD, though they do require UM and UIM, which baffles me.

Because they make more money selling collision coverage. Not baffling at all.

How do I purchase a supplemental UMPD coverage?

You don't. You buy collision coverage (and comprehensive) with the lowest deductible available or find a company that has deductible waivers or disappearing deductibles.

I sometimes drive in high-risk area where something like 35% of the drivers have no insurance at all.

Then you'd better have high limit UM and UIM in case you get crippled for life by one of those uninsured drivers.

Back