What Individual Health companies would you use in Michigan?

mmb98

Expert
I am anticipating getting into the individual health insurance market more here in Michigan. Does anybody have experience in this market here. I have dabbled a little in the past.

Currently I am appointed directly with Assurant/John Alden, Humana, United Health Care/Golden Rule, and Blue Cross Blue Shield. I am getting 20% as earned on all but the BCBS which is only 8% (but there is no underwriting involved).

I went to eHealthInsurance.com and noticed Unicare and Aetna came up quite a bit (so did Celtic, but based only on a bit of information, I'm not too impressed by this company). Do you think Unicare and Aetna would be worth getting appointed with (or other companies), or should I stick with what I have?

Any advice or insight would be appreciated.

depends on how much business you plan on losing......

healthcard.jpg

I am anticipating getting into the individual health insurance market more here in Michigan. Does anybody have experience in this market here. I have dabbled a little in the past.

Currently I am appointed directly with Assurant/John Alden, Humana, United Health Care/Golden Rule, and Blue Cross Blue Shield. I am getting 20% as earned on all but the BCBS which is only 8% (but there is no underwriting involved).

I went to eHealthInsurance.com and noticed Unicare and Aetna came up quite a bit (so did Celtic, but based only on a bit of information, I'm not too impressed by this company). Do you think Unicare and Aetna would be worth getting appointed with (or other companies), or should I stick with what I have?

Any advice or insight would be appreciated.
It is my understanding from internal sources that Assurant Health has targeted Mi as 1 of 4 states that they expect to do really well with.

Michigan is a great state - Unicare is hit or miss with their network and they rate up like crazy (non waiver state). It is nice to have a GI BCBS so you can put the unhealthy on BCBS MI and write the rest elsewhere.

8% on GI is great except you can not write direct and they are a huge pain to deal with, very incompetent.

Overall MI is a great state, it sounds like you have your bases covered between Unicare, Aetna, UHC / GR, you got the bulk of it.

Back