what is best path to six figures/yr in new insurance career

I believe your statement was "33.2% of people who buy individual health cancel within six months...", no?

A factoid you read somewhere. Can't remember where?

ehealthinsurance.com (largest seller of individual plans in the US&A) has an average persistency of twenty-four months.

Even that number is somewhat skewed, because it includes temporary policies, which stay on the books an average of four months...

It's a matter of facts versus "a factoid you heard somewhere, that rings true..."
Easy skippy don't get your panties in a bunch I did not realize you were so hindered by my statement to formulate a researched response. I have an idedic memory which means I remember everything I read, but not necissarily where I read it. I appologize for offending you, but you seem a bit high stressed.

Easy skippy don't get your panties in a bunch I did not realize you were so hindered by my statement to formulate a researched response. I have an idedic memory which means I remember everything I read, but not necissarily where I read it. I appologize for offending you, but you seem a bit high stressed.

Sorry, no stress, skippy. No apology required.

Some people deal with uneducated opinions. Some people deal with facts.

Sorry, no stress, skippy. No apology required.

Some people deal with uneducated opinions. Some people deal with facts.
and that would be your opinion. You are entitled to it, but if you have relivant facts to bring to the table or comparitive data its better to approach objectively and persuasively than to do it aggressively. as they say you get more bees with honey than vinegar.

33.2% of people who buy individual health cancel within six months..."

That factoid certainly doesn't ring true with my book of business.
I, too, would be interested in where you pulled that fact from, if you can't remember, maybe it isn't a fact. Just an inquiring mind thang!

33% "Drop off" within 6 months?????

If I had 33% drop off within 1 year, I would be most upset, to say the least.
Last 12 months, I have written (Individual health), 180 applications. (169 placed) Having just checked last months statement I can state 19 of them fell off the books, mostly because they changed jobs and got group coverage. This average around 18% per year, nowhere near 33%.
If my retention was that weak, I would look for another job.

The above post was just policies written with BCBS. I also write with Aetna and Unicare. The persistancy is almost identical.

So I take my girl to see Sex and the City and I missed all of this?!?!?

I use web conferencing, best thing ever, I've used gotmeeting due to being able to have my clients e-sign on the spot, as in giving them the controls.

My retention is the same, about 18% loss and I've had clients stay on as long as 4 years, more than just one.

Also, ehealth is definitely skewed because they lose at least half of their business from what I heard.

I'm sure you all have awesome retention so on and so on. I am not trying to bring any of you down. Facts are facts you have far less retention from direct marketing of health insurance than through a company. If you build a stable relationship with a business owner he or she will never let you go. Its about relationships...this insurance business we are in.

No one can argue that you have less of a loss ratio / retention from a direct sale as opposed to a company.

Say what you like I am not trying to prod massive responses stating how little I know and how much all of you know :)

Just stating facts

I've heard more and more companies are dropping their group coverage, also that it's a tough market, but I haven't done it, so I guess it's hearsay, but it should be the same as most sales, you lose some over time. With individual health, everyday more people need it, they get married, and it's too expensive to add the wife, a divorce occurs, COBRA costs way too much, a 22 y. o. kid isn't a full time student, etc. So it's a great cycle of potential customers.

Plus referrals and the cross selling of dental, accident, disability, life, etc.

With over 40 million uninsured and more becoming self employed, it's a pretty good market.

Back