What is the best advice for someone starting out in selling life insurance?

richreeves

Expert
Why is selling life insurance hard? Why is it easy? What are the most important aspects of selling life insurance?

Take and keep notes beyond the basic underwriting information. Such as, is a die hard 49s fan, son is a doctor, really loves their dog, wife is retiring in 3 years, has a..... As the years go by you will build a relationship beyond that of just an insurance vendor. They call you for insurance and refer you because they like you.

Those notes really help when you do a lot of work by email, text and phone. A quick review reminds me of who the client is. Especially if it is someone I wrote years ago. Seems to help me have a conversation v a sales call.

Its hard in general because people don't understand it and for many (unfortunately) its not a priority. Plus they don't "have" to buy it, like they do other types of insurance.

life insurance broad. I think the best thing to do is to focus in one area and once mastered add the others as you go. most of the successful guys had one specific niche they mastered first.

Take and keep notes beyond the basic underwriting information. Such as, is a die hard 49s fan, son is a doctor, really loves their dog, wife is retiring in 3 years, has a..... As the years go by you will build a relationship beyond that of just an insurance vendor. They call you for insurance and refer you because they like you.

Those notes really help when you do a lot of work by email, text and phone. A quick review reminds me of who the client is. Especially if it is someone I wrote years ago. Seems to help me have a conversation v a sales call.
Yeah.. you call him a couple years down the road and find out the wife ran off with the gardener, he has become a "cat lady", the son is in the pen for medicare fraud and he thinks the 49s suck.. Other than that everything is still the same. :)

Compare that article... to this guy:

Work on your image and value proposition towards a higher standard of professionalism, and not be a "Ned Ryerson".

But in reality most 1st year agents would be better served being a little more like Ned, and a little less like the guy in article saying he's not an Agent and trying to be mr. CPA/CFA/CFP/CMA/CPCU/CLU

But lift heavy weights so you don't get punched as much as Ned the Head. :1tongue:

Latest posts

Back