What is wrong with Internet Leads? - Your Opinion Requested

Alston

Guru
1000 Post Club
I've been selling Internet leads to companies like iLeads and NetQuote for a couple of years now. They of course resell the leads to brokers.

I'm just about ready to sell leads directly to brokers and would like to know the biggest complaints brokers have about Internet leads. I'm in a financial position that will allow me to start slow and focus on quality, so if I can figure out a way to generate better leads I will.

I'd also like to know what you like about the companies that you deal with.

I still personally sell about 200 individual health contracts a year, so I'm familiar with the insurance agent's perspective as well.

Your opinion will be appreciated.

I recently wrote an article that details the techniques I use to combine old school and new school techniques and Maximize Sales from Internet Leads. There might be some tips that are useful to you.

I'd love to get your sales ideas. :idea: We can all learn from each other.

Thanks,

I've been selling Internet leads to companies like iLeads and NetQuote for a couple of years now. They of course resell the leads to brokers.

I'm just about ready to sell leads directly to brokers and would like to know the biggest complaints brokers have about Internet leads. I'm in a financial position that will allow me to start slow and focus on quality, so if I can figure out a way to generate better leads I will.

I'd also like to know what you like about the companies that you deal with.

I still personally sell about 200 individual health contracts a year, so I'm familiar with the insurance agent's perspective as well.

Your opinion will be appreciated.

I recently wrote an article that details the techniques I use to combine old school and new school techniques and Maximize Sales from Internet Leads. There might be some tips that are useful to you.

I'd love to get your sales ideas. :idea: We can all learn from each other.

Thanks,

nobody commented here, huh? haha...i woulda spoke to you

No one knew what Alston was talking about back then. He was the only one who knew there was an internet.

The rest of us were playing Pong.

still looking for comments.

Well, OK.

I think you are a really nice guy and have a lot to contribute to the forum.

I stopped buying leads years ago so nothing to contribute to your original question.

What I've learned from this community since starting this thread in 2007:
  • Leads are resold too many times
  • You get too many bogus leads
  • Refund policies suck
Does that about sum it up?

What I've also learned is:
  • The more times you can sell a lead the higher you can bid on PPC and the more money you have for SEO
  • The fewer refunds you give [ditto]
  • This makes it difficult or impossible for a company with integrity to compete and still generate enough volume to make it worthwhile
Every few months I think about selling leads directly to other agents. When I started this thread, I thought that the programming would be the hard part. I've got 4 more years of programming under my belt so that is no longer the case.

But... I believe in "win-win or no deal" (Seven Habits of Highly Successful People). I'm not sure if the market can support the per lead charge I'd need to get to sell exclusive leads at high volume. I'm not sure if I can justify devoting the requisite resources to this project if I can't generate a high enough volume of leads.

In addition, my buddy Malcolm (Pangea) thinks it is a dumb idea. He's "been there, done that" and I respect his knowledge and appreciate his advice.

(But I may do it anyway.)

It's simple. Demand exceeded supply. So instead of adjusting prices or terms & conditions the lead industry's solution was to water down the quality - mainly by contracting with affiliates under a "don't ask don't tell" policy about how they're generating leads.

There many not have been a solution. However, one possible solution when more agents are looking for quality leads than are available is to get a lot of money down, lock agents into contracts and leads come in 24/7 - no pausing.

Just curious...what is the going rate on an organic (100%) generated internet health insurance lead that is sold one time (truly exclusive) using Google search terms such as "health insurance quote" etc... and not "free health insurance"?

Of course, this prospect may still have visited other sites.

Back