What Is Your Average Connect Rate On Internet Leads?

Josh

Guru
5000 Post Club
I decided to give internet leads a try this week to see how the other half lives. From what I understand they usually close somewhere between 1 in 8 and 1 in 20 depending on the source. Anyone care to share their experience with how many leads they would connect with per 100 on the average?

I talk to about half my Norvax leads. I just started with Hometown Quotes and have reached 6 out of the 7 leads I've gotten so far and had 30-40 minute conversations with each. The one lead I didn't get was returned for a credit anyway since they were diabetic. Should have 3-4 sales out of the 6 prospects, so a good start. We'll see how it goes over a larger sample.

Reading the two previous posts, it would appear that I must be doing something terribly wrong.
I call all of my leads within seconds of them appearing in my email (sometimes I take them straight off of the lead company web site - in live time).
No matter what I do, I am usually unable to contact more than 10%.

The obvious conclusion is that my lead company is sending me leads from affiliates and the agents from the affiliate company is getting to them even before I receive the lead.
However I do not believe this to be the case.

Luckily I usually sell eight out of ten leads that I manage to speak to, so it is profitable to keep on purchasing from them.

Last edited:
Very new agent

I've been in the insurance industry for awhile as an agent recruiter for Genworth Financial, but when I was laid off at my job I started to sell this last month (really last two weeks). Med Supps are my specialty and I have started buying leads from InsuranceLeads.com and InsureMe.com. So far I've gotten 102 leads (since a little over 2 weeks ago). Gotten ahold of 63 of them, and have set up appointments with 7 of them. I have sold 2 so far (over the phone through United of Omaha here in TN). I've found many of the people seem to get to me through weird means and are often not looking for Medicare Supplements at all (typically MA plans, Medicaid or PDP if not Med Supps). Still, with the one's I've spoken with, I've had good rapport and I expect about a 10% sales for the first hundred I bought. The one who aren't looking for Med Supps I get a credit on (which has been about half). Keep in mind I try to get to them within 5 minutes of receiving if at all possible. In the Nashville area, you definitely snooze, you lose.

Re: Very new agent

I've been in the insurance industry for awhile as an agent recruiter for Genworth Financial, but when I was laid off at my job I started to sell this last month (really last two weeks). Med Supps are my specialty and I have started buying leads from InsuranceLeads.com and InsureMe.com. So far I've gotten 102 leads (since a little over 2 weeks ago). Gotten ahold of 63 of them, and have set up appointments with 7 of them. I have sold 2 so far (over the phone through United of Omaha here in TN). I've found many of the people seem to get to me through weird means and are often not looking for Medicare Supplements at all (typically MA plans, Medicaid or PDP if not Med Supps). Still, with the one's I've spoken with, I've had good rapport and I expect about a 10% sales for the first hundred I bought. The one who aren't looking for Med Supps I get a credit on (which has been about half). Keep in mind I try to get to them within 5 minutes of receiving if at all possible. In the Nashville area, you definitely snooze, you lose.

if you want someone to take care of your MA plans feel free to contact me...

No one was called out so this is not to bash anyone's post. Like always, just my 2 cents.

I think another vital part is actual sales rate. You can connect with 100% but if they are pure trash what's its matter? I would rather have a 50% connect rate with a 30% sales rate. I doubt many would want an 80% connect rate couple with an 8% sales rate. With a good SELF CREATED script (<--controversial for sure, some gurus agree; some dont; works great for me), good leads, belief in products, belief in company, belief in yourself, most should be able to do it.

Last edited:
Re: Very new agent

I don't buy in Davidson Co at all, but you might want to try some other vendors. Hometown Quotes actually has decent med supp leads for me, their volume isn't great but the quality is very good. And they're local in Nashville.. Franklin but w/e its just a suburb. You'd probably get more volume than I do just buying in town and I buy like 12 counties. Netquote has less affiliate leads for medsupps in Tennessee than insureme and insuranceleads do. I buy all the leads from all 3 of them one county east of you. I also buy all the allwebleads volume, and besthealthleads, and 4freequotes. One of netquotes TN affiliate lead suppliers gets all the medicare.com leads, which appears to be the uneducated seniors first destination on the interwebs. Besthealthleads has the AARP page lead form or the affiliate that does it. You also need to ask them if they said a "united of omaha" agent just spoke with you to read off the caller ID. When they ask why tell them to make sure they're not from your office or something, but just pay attention to the area code. There is a call center in Michigan that buys all the netquote leads in the state and calls them, you have about 15-30 minutes after the lead comes into the system to call it or they will call it first, but I've found if I just ask them to read the caller id I can say "oh thats odd, I wonder why the call center from Michigan is calling. You can work with them if you want to or I'd be happy to sell you the same policy, I'm local". They 99% of the time aren't paying attention to the area code, when you point it out you take the sale.

If you wanna know why I'm giving up this info, I'm just far enough away from you that I don't give a crap.. I'd prefer if you bought to the north and west instead of toward rutherford and wilson co if you don't mind tho, I work those two as much as I can. I bet you get more in Davidson than you can handle anyway, you got 102 leads in the same timespan that I got 51 from 7 total vendors. Also, insureme and insuranceleads seem to resell netquote in the co's I work, you get those leads like an hour after the netquote people are, I just know because they had my system screwed up for a while across the vendors and it was selling me the same leads from all 3 of them. The netquote leads showed up first. You may be getting beat on calls because you're catching a resold lead that the mutual of omaha center in MI is getting an hour before you.

I buy farther east and mostly compete with a call center from Michigan, one from Florida, and some people that really don't know what they're doing. Bad part for me, its a LOT of driving. Getting sick of driving from Cookeville all the way to Mt. Juliet for 2 appointments then back. I mean hell 2 hours of driving to sell 4 policies doesn't break my heart, but I wish I had more volume closer to home.

I found that its fairly aggravating to compete with Healthspring when you get closer to Nashville, BUT, try putting more emphasis on the no vacation part of HMOs. People don't think about it, but if they go on vacation they can't see a doctor. They may NEVER go, but they want to think they can.

A part D lead is a Med Supp lead. Do their part D right and they'll want you as their agent for their Med Supp or MA too, I sold 2 supplements, 2 part d, and a life policy off a part D only lead this year.

Wow, thanks for that Ksigmtsu

That was quite a detailed and helpful response. I appreciate it that you'd take the time to get into all that. Yeah, Health Springs is omnipresent but if you can't beat them, join em' I suppose. I'm in the process of getting certified to sell them. I believe if someone can afford a Med Supp they should get it, but some people really in Davidson truly can't afford one. Anyhow I'm not thrilled with the response rate, but I'm still pretty green and take that into consideration. I've recently bought a 64 year-old list in Davidson and Williamson counties. Does anyone have a good approach that works better than most (not necessarily a script, but a bullet-point that gets their attention so they don't shut you down after hello)?

Re: Wow, thanks for that Ksigmtsu

That was quite a detailed and helpful response. I appreciate it that you'd take the time to get into all that. Yeah, Health Springs is omnipresent but if you can't beat them, join em' I suppose. I'm in the process of getting certified to sell them. I believe if someone can afford a Med Supp they should get it, but some people really in Davidson truly can't afford one. Anyhow I'm not thrilled with the response rate, but I'm still pretty green and take that into consideration. I've recently bought a 64 year-old list in Davidson and Williamson counties. Does anyone have a good approach that works better than most (not necessarily a script, but a bullet-point that gets their attention so they don't shut you down after hello)?

Yeah, go to the other thread we have in here I started, its here: Cold Calling Opening Question Frank is the guy to really talk to about that if you need a lot of general knowledge. He knows more than me, and I tend to be all over the place. I'm poor at presentation but great at question and answer. Realistically your opening needs to be as simple as possible, this is what I'm using:

"Is this (mr or mrs client). Hi, (mr or mrs client), my name is (first and last name) and I'm calling today to let you know about changes occurring in June with the Medicare Modernization Act. Do you recall who you have your supplement with?"

In order for that script to work you better be able to answer questions fast. You have to really really know what you're talking about. Also, maybe they are with healthspring, but its possible that healthspring will no longer exist if they get rid of MA plans, I keep hearing that rumor, so just tell them what you CAN do, and document that they were with healthspring. You don't even really have to say much about it, that rumor is spreading like wildfire. Maybe you can be the solution to the cancellation of their plan.

Also, I agree with frank 100% on this, but when I bought my list I did 64-79 year olds in a radius from Cookeville till I hit 1000, not necessarily all 64. The 64 market is the most competitive, the 66-79 year olds are the ones that are already disappointed with their agent that are easier to write.

The one caveat to that is you will need to know your underwriting situations and companies a lot better for the 66-79 market.

Last edited:
Back