What is Your Current Opinion of Health Reform?

Silver Devil

I am a new member, I own a Multi-line Agency and we stopped selling Individual Health Insurance a few years back because of the extremely high declination or modification rates or exclusions.

We found it almost impossible to get a couple over age 50
coverage at stardard rates and no modicafications.

What is the consenus of this group now that you've had a couple of weeks to further understand the bill? Will it help you since you can sell everyone with no declinations? Or?

My initial feeling, it could help me since we are virtually selling none for the main reason that they created Health Reform. Unavailable due to some medical condition or other reason or unaffordable

One problem Silver Devil: The costs aren't going to go down even though we are going guaranteed issue.

If costs don't go down and you sell health insurance and it is all guaratee issue....isn't that a good thing for the agent?

unless commissions (%) go down?

Costs go up, sales go down, supply and demand 101.

However I'd argue that people will actually make more money if commissions were even cut in half with everything being GI.

The saved time in chasing carrier underwriting around to get a policy issued plus no unexpected cancellations and rate changes will result in a higher overall rate of placement.

Nothing in the law will reduce claims or the cost of health care.

Roughly 85% of premiums are directly tied to claims.

Obamacare requires less out of pocket, more copays, no caps on benefits, more benefits and GI. All of these will increase premiums. In the case of GI, premiums will rise dramatically making health insurance LESS affordable.

Tax credits to offset the cost of health insurance don't last forever.

DC is spending more than it takes in. Tax credits will further erode tax collections. Something terribly wrong with this picture.

Consumers suffer a net loss, not gain . . . including those termed uninsurable under the current structure.

Carriers will be squeezed by increased regulation and oversight. Fewer carriers, less competition, fewer plans to pick.

Commissions will go down, while premiums will go up. With fewer people able to afford coverage and penalties for non-compliance near zero, I predict fewer buyers, not more. Those eligible for Medicaid will be the exception.

Obamacare is a circle jerk.

And it's kinda hard to impose a tax penalty for the 50% of all households that don't pay taxes. Also a nice clause in the bill taking all the teeth out of the IRS for enforcement; cannot lien or levy - cannot garnish wages.

Last edited:
At least we have front row seats to the biggest boondoggle in American history. We'll get to watch all of this crash and burn like a slo-mo scene in the Matrix.

At least we have front row seats to the biggest boondoggle in American history. We'll get to watch all of this crash and burn like a slo-mo scene in the Matrix.

Yes this is going to be more exciting than when Coke changed their formula to new Coke.

Hopefully they will see their error and bring out "classic" healthcare just as quickly.

Back