What is your goal of making cold calls?

Rick Deckard

Guru
100+ Post Club
Most folks in here carry either a 2-20 or a 2-15, P&C or Life/Health, some both. I am focusing on 2-20 because I believe it's the easier of the two to make an appointment.

-Get a targeted list. You don't want to just cold call, you want to make "targeted" cold calls. Whatever you have managed to write in Commercial Insurance to this point, find the SIC code on Google and then pull as many as you can. Why? Because obviously you had some mild success and now you know at least a handful of carriers specific to their industry to get a quote from.

Example: "Hi Joe, we've discovered that our clients premiums GL/WC are actually going down in 2018...has your agent been by to discuss this with you?" and you will be shocked how easy it is to book appointments. We could go on and on about building value and sometimes the premiums will rise and not fall but none of that matters yet. Get the appointment, go out ask questions, take good notes, ask a lot more questions to uncover the true pulse of the business.

And I will leave you with one amazing tip to help in the 1st 5 seconds of speaking with the business owner or key person...ready? "How have you been?" and the reason it is working right now is the pattern interruption, it kinda scrambles their brain and they let go of a lot of defense mechanisms and canned replies to shut you down. This question can work on a total stranger, try it. It won't work every time but it works a lot beeter than "Am I interrupting...you don't know me but...reason for my call"...HOW ARE YOU(actually not that bad) would be my fall back. Have fun with it, cold calling will not harm you physically I promise.

5-10 hours of targeted cold calls weekly to business owners who are already shelling out GL/WC will easily fill your date book up for 3-5 days out.

8-9:30 AM, Prospecting Commercial

4-6 PM, Prospecting Commercial and Personal Lines

Good Luck everyone, happy to read any feedback, Cheers!

Great points! Cheers to that!
Our main goal is expansion. We do this by targeting various cities throughout the state, but I'm sure that's standard procedure in most offices. We're just cycling through new lists constantly, and keeping the machine going.

Also, if I can add one more thing it's to really engage with the prospect. We had one prospect who lives in a rural area and talked about his hobby of raising goats and has a llama. Not kidding.. Instead of brushing that off and going for the hard close, we managed to have an enjoyable conversation and worked towards writing new business!

Back