What Makes a Good Sales Manager?

TAN Shawn

I am about to head into the world of Sales management. I would love to know what you would like your sales manager to do for you to help you succeed. What would a "perfect" sales manager offer you.

A few random thoughts:

1. Always be honest with them. ALWAYS.

2. Make your expectations absolutely clear at all times. There will be times they say "you didn't tell us that", and you absolutely have to minimize that. Plus, there will be times when chronic underachievers need to go, and you'll need to explain to them why.

3. Do not treat them all the same. Learn what makes each one tick and deal with them individually from there. Look up "Situational Leadership", great stuff.

4. They must know that you are there for them, for support, for training. Be proactive and ask them how you can help. Sometimes they won't tell you, but you need to stay on this.

5. Spend time with them in the field so they know you understand their situation and so that you can provide tips. In addition to being helpful on selling, it's a great way to get to know your team.

6. They have to know that your job is to do what's best for the company. They have to know there are things you must do, things you must expect from them. You're not their buddy, you're their boss. Period.

7. Celebrate all successes in front of the group, give the agent their due when they nail it. Most salespeople love to be recognized for their hard work.

8. Keep all lines of communication open at all times. If they ever decide that they can't be open with you or with each other, you've got a serious problem.

9. Nip personality issues in the bud. Do NOT let them fester. If there are conflicts, bring the people together and fix it now. It will only get worse.

That's a start, anyway.

A few random thoughts:

1. Always be honest with them. ALWAYS.

2. Make your expectations absolutely clear at all times. There will be times they say "you didn't tell us that", and you absolutely have to minimize that. Plus, there will be times when chronic underachievers need to go, and you'll need to explain to them why.

3. Do not treat them all the same. Learn what makes each one tick and deal with them individually from there. Look up "Situational Leadership", great stuff.

4. They must know that you are there for them, for support, for training. Be proactive and ask them how you can help. Sometimes they won't tell you, but you need to stay on this.

5. Spend time with them in the field so they know you understand their situation and so that you can provide tips. In addition to being helpful on selling, it's a great way to get to know your team.

6. They have to know that your job is to do what's best for the company. They have to know there are things you must do, things you must expect from them. You're not their buddy, you're their boss. Period.

7. Celebrate all successes in front of the group, give the agent their due when they nail it. Most salespeople love to be recognized for their hard work.

8. Keep all lines of communication open at all times. If they ever decide that they can't be open with you or with each other, you've got a serious problem.

9. Nip personality issues in the bud. Do NOT let them fester. If there are conflicts, bring the people together and fix it now. It will only get worse.

That's a start, anyway.

I think this is good advice. I would also set clear goals as to what they are expected to do. I had a sales manager that set fifteen phone calls (actually contacts), fifteen letters, and fifteen face to face contacts each day. You weren't going to be a round long if you didn't do it.

First, hire motivated people. Never try to "motivate" someone. You can only guide and direct their efforts.

Second, being a manager isn't nearly as important as being a teacher, guide and mentor. A manager 'monitors' an agent's activity, records and reports it to their manager. A mentor will help teach, train and guide the agent to higher levels of effectiveness.

The simpler you can make this business, the more money your agents will make... and will stay in the business.

I've been through a lot of interviews. Most hiring managers, GAs, MPs all did the same "song and dance" as everyone else... except for one.

This guy correctly sized me up, helped me see that what I considered to be a personal strength was still a great weakness compared to what he can teach me. He was someone that could help me grow as a producer - and he demonstrated that during the interviewing process. I had never experienced anything like that before in this industry. It was the first time I didn't find myself saying "I hope they can train me so I can just leave after a few years to be an independent agent".

He was very selective. I was told that he interviewed over 100 potential candidates over the past year... and hired 7. Based on the size of the office, and the activities of the recruiter, I could think that's true.

He didn't care that I had the RFC and ChFC designations. He didn't care that I held securities licenses and registrations. (Most hiring managers seem to drool over that.) He got right down to the 'nitty-gritty' and said "If you were making good money already, we wouldn't be talking now, right? So, if you can forget all of what you think is true in being successful in this business, and let me teach you... you'd have no reason to leave, right?"

It was the first time that I could remember thinking to myself "I hope he sees something in me that would encourage him to hire me." I wanted to be hired and trained by him. He proved to me that he could spot my weaknesses and make them into strengths. He showed me very simply how he would prospect - without going into too much detail.

I begin training with him on Tuesday this week. He's the only manager that I've ever met that said "bring a digital tape recorder". Most managers don't want to be taped. (Probably don't have much to be worth recording anyway.)

I say this because who you are in this industry and how you work with your agents will say much more about you than your title. He certainly got my attention and I'm looking forward to 're-programming' myself towards excellence in this industry.

First, hire motivated people. Never try to "motivate" someone. You can only guide and direct their efforts.

Second, being a manager isn't nearly as important as being a teacher, guide and mentor. A manager 'monitors' an agent's activity, records and reports it to their manager. A mentor will help teach, train and guide the agent to higher levels of effectiveness.

The simpler you can make this business, the more money your agents will make... and will stay in the business.

I've been through a lot of interviews. Most hiring managers, GAs, MPs all did the same "song and dance" as everyone else... except for one.

This guy correctly sized me up, helped me see that what I considered to be a personal strength was still a great weakness compared to what he can teach me. He was someone that could help me grow as a producer - and he demonstrated that during the interviewing process. I had never experienced anything like that before in this industry. It was the first time I didn't find myself saying "I hope they can train me so I can just leave after a few years to be an independent agent".

He was very selective. I was told that he interviewed over 100 potential candidates over the past year... and hired 7. Based on the size of the office, and the activities of the recruiter, I could think that's true.

He didn't care that I had the RFC and ChFC designations. He didn't care that I held securities licenses and registrations. (Most hiring managers seem to drool over that.) He got right down to the 'nitty-gritty' and said "If you were making good money already, we wouldn't be talking now, right? So, if you can forget all of what you think is true in being successful in this business, and let me teach you... you'd have no reason to leave, right?"

It was the first time that I could remember thinking to myself "I hope he sees something in me that would encourage him to hire me." I wanted to be hired and trained by him. He proved to me that he could spot my weaknesses and make them into strengths. He showed me very simply how he would prospect - without going into too much detail.

I begin training with him on Tuesday this week. He's the only manager that I've ever met that said "bring a digital tape recorder". Most managers don't want to be taped. (Probably don't have much to be worth recording anyway.)

I say this because who you are in this industry and how you work with your agents will say much more about you than your title. He certainly got my attention and I'm looking forward to 're-programming' myself towards excellence in this industry.

Congratulations! Sounds like you got hired by a great manager. Please post again in a few weeks, months & let us know how its's going.

To the OP, I think a manager that will work with you when you need help. Whether in the field or in the office. I always dislike it when a manager will say he'll help but ends up not being there for whatever I may need.

To add to what Ryan said. Praise in public, punish/critique/scold/etc in private.

Also, do you have children? Have you ever watched or babysat children? There is a reason sales management is called adult babysitting. It is amazing how salespeople suddenly degenerate into children. Treat them just like children, just don't let them know. Encourage the behavior your want, and quickly squash the behavior you don't want.

Every good manager I've seen never makes a sale for himself. He is ALWAYS training or rewarding his agents. As soon as you start making sales of your own you are their competitor rather than manager.

Weak managers sell and they always fail at managing others.

Back