What NOT to Do as a New Agent Getting Started

InsuranceBenefitsGroup

Guru
100+ Post Club
TX
Don't join a PAID association :arghh:

I have been an Independant Agent for several years and make well into the six figures, as I don't mean to brag. My initial start and stepping stone was with a Captive Company. I suggest all new agents use this channel initially. A new agent should sponge up all they can while with the Captive. You'll be trained in person, run face to face appointments, and learn the most important part of this job -HOW TO SELL. Which brings us to this "association".

If the association guy wanted to continue to offer free advice and insight, (for which this board was created) I would applaud the effort. Now it's become a $ thing.

This forum was created to be a resource, not a commerical recruiting station.

Do you want to pay $ to take in a webinar and to hear some rhetoric?

Take my advice: join the Captive Company -be captive for a little while, learn how to sell, then go out on your own as an independent. If you start as an independent without hands on, local (in person) training -you will fail. There is one exception to this rule -The Silver Tongue.

If you have this gift, you can sell ketchup popsicles to people in white gloves, and ice to eskimoes, etc.

If you're already Captive and making the move over, just read this board. There is a plethora of solid information and agents willing to help, including myself. There's no need to pay for anything.

The peanut gallery here will surely have something to say about this post, as several are just minions that'll chime in with some dramatic, knee-jerk jabs.

This is a great business if you know how to sell. Selling is an art, the rest just falls into place.

Best of luck to you all!;)

Last edited:
Dunno - if you get $1 per lead discount on some lead sources 20 leads pays for membership. $50 off the Norvax more than pays for it on top of the 12 other companies we have lined up and more coming every week.

If it's not your cup of tea then fine - but we're helping a LOT of agents.

Seems good if you get back more than it costs - no argument with value.

I do NOT think though that noobies to the biz should attempt to go independent from scratch. Too much to learn. Too small a chance of success. Work for somebody for a while to learn the ropes. Nothing is forever!

In my opinion when you are starting out in this business you had better hook up with someone who knows what they are talking about. Otherwise you are screwed. Why the hell do you think that the drop out rate in this business is worse than McDonalds. Books are fine, but nothing beats talking to someone. Also when you are new, a community atmosphere encourages you to work harder and consequently produce more. It certainly fosters competition, and that can't be bad. For my money it beats the hell out of being captive in order to get training

NB: I am not a member of any association.

I heard on the Grapevine that Petrowski sends out the heavies if you don't pay the dues. But what can you expect from Maryland.:tongue::tongue:

</IMG></IMG>

In my opinion when you are starting out in this business you had better hook up with someone who knows what they are talking about. Otherwise you are screwed. Why the hell do you think that the drop out rate in this business is worse than McDonalds. Books are fine, but nothing beats talking to someone. Also when you are new, a community atmosphere encourages you to work harder and consequently produce more. It certainly fosters competition, and that can't be bad. For my money it beats the hell out of being captive in order to get training

NB: I am not a member of any association.

I heard on the Grapevine that Petrowski sends out the heavies if you don't pay the dues. But what can you expect from Maryland.:tongue::tongue:

</IMG></IMG>

We just bought Vito on - he's taking care of the "member happiness" program.

Back