What % of Premiums do you direct to Fixed interest account to cover COI/Fees, etc

Oct 4, 2018

1. Allen Trent

Allen Trent Guru

Hi there.

For those of you most experienced with writing IUL, how much of the Premiums do you direct to the fixed account to cover COI/Fees, etc? Allocating 100% to index accounts seems to short-change the clients growth as COI/Fees are taken out monthly but Index credits are general annual or 2 years. Fixed account (similar to UL) credits interest monthly. Just trying to figure out if 10 or 15% is best in the first few years so that the client doesn't forfeit making any index credit on potentially 11 months of COI/Fees deducted that wont be in the CV at end of index cycle to receive an index credit.

Also, if you do advise on X% of initial premiums, do you then advise client to later back down the allocation to fixed account as the CV account grows as the COI/fees may not be as high in later years as a ratio to total CV.

Lastly, I am a believer in Dollar Cost averaging into the index accounts any annual premiums or lump sums/1035 to create the most buckets & avoid risking 1 single day for the index credit to live or die by. Anyone out there against DCA of annual/lump sums?

Thank you in advance

2. scagnt83

scagnt83 Worldwide Expert of Everything

State:
    South Carolina
    Imo, it all depends on expectations of market returns. From a historical basis, over the long term, I have never found the numbers to have any advantage doing that. Assuming even a moderate Index return, the higher index return is more beneficial financially.

But that doesnt mean in the future it might have a positive effect doing that. If you had 3 or 4 flat or negative years in a row, obviously it would have been a good thing to have some allocated to Fixed. So tell me when the Index will be negative, and for how long, and I will tell you how much to put in the Fixed Allocation... LOL.

Seriously though, going back to 1970, the S&P 500 has been negative 2 years in a row only once. It has been negative 3 years in a row just once. It has never been negative 4 years in a row. (that is calendar year return obviously)

The flip side to that, is it has been 18 years since we have had multiple negative years in a row. It has been 7 years since the last flat year. But the "great recession" back in 2008, only saw 1 negative year. So how much will it matter in the next 5 years? No telling. If the client is concerned about it allocate some to fixed.

What I mainly consider when/if allocating to Fixed, is if they are taking out CV any time soon.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  3. Allen Trent

Allen Trent Guru

Exactly how I have always thought about it. Only reason I asked as I had an internal Wholesaler promoting the topic of the need to place 10-15% in the fixed to avoid not having the policy fees portion deducted from the CV that will receive index crediting at the end of the index. He spent a fair amount of time making a case for why it will improve net returns & illustrated values. Said he does it with his own contracts & could have competitive analyst call with more specifics.

I changed a $12k per year illustration to be 15% in fixed & it only added $300 CV in on $100k+ CV projection & then $100 less on $450k CV projected at age 65. makes almost no difference in illustrated values that I can see. I could see if illustrating 11% returns was allowed, it might make a greater difference.

Thanks for the reply

4. AboutThatLife

AboutThatLife Guru

Only use I know for it is to increase the guarantee column.

5. Allen Trent

Allen Trent Guru

not sure why that would happen. Many IULs have a guarantee of no less than 2% (floor of 0%) worst case credited as an average rate from time bought until death or surrender. Putting 10-15% in the fixed account or all of it shouldn't impact the guaranteed column unless the fixed account has greater than a 2% guarantee & many don't.

6. ATM

ATM Super Genius

State:
    Alabama
    I don't ever direct any $ to the fixed account.

ATM, Oct 30, 2018