What protects us from nasty customers?

BiggitySwat

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Client applies for life insurance with us and is declined due to his frequent travel to dangerous countries. I offer to re-write him with another carrier that isn't so harsh as far as his travel goes, but he refuses. So, I tell him that his refund check is on its way from the carrier.

He calls me a few weeks later and threatens me because he hasn't received his refund check yet, and also, calling me dishonest because I collected a check with his application, while his "friend" in the local insurance biz says you never have to collect Cash With App. I ask him who is "friend" is and what his phone number was, but he refused to share that information with me.

The client then threatens to contact some more "friends" in the local insurance industry about me and my firm if the refund check isn't put into his mailbox IMMEDIATELY. I tell him that it's impossible because our carrier is mailing it reg. mail from across the country.

I contact the carrier and tell them of my issue - they promise to expedite the refund check.

The client then EMAILS me and snarkly tells me to "do some research on the insurance companies" before giving him advice. He has an AD&D policy that he pays $10 a month for from Globe Life/Torchmark (face value $250,000), and thinks that I was trying to rip him off because he feels that AD&D is the same thing as fully-blown Life insurance. He gave me websites and claimed that I was wrong to say that Torchmark is currently under investigation from the AAJ because of defrauding clients into thinking AD&D was the same thing as fully comprehensive Life policies. His proof? "Torchmark/Globe Life is on the New York Stock Exchange and London Stock Exchange, so you're wrong." LOL.

I emailed him back actual articles and documents from lawyers and scammed clients of GlobeLife AD&D, and I've yet to have a response.

My question is in this case: where do you go from here? Either I stop responding or wave the white flag, so then he can be smug in telling others that I don't know what I'm talking about and that his AD&D policy trumps Life insurance, or do I keep responding to set him straight, but upset his fragile ego even more?

It seems that nasty clients in our business have ALOT of power over us, and that seems wrong. How do we deal with this?

I'm more worried that he will badmouth myself and my company locally and hurt our business, but it's not like I can sue him for slander/libel - or can I? I just want to be protected from psychotic, lying clients who think they're always right, even if the proof is before their eyes AND delivered by experienced/licensed insurance agents.

I wouldn't worry about it. Everyone has an angry client. I have one lady that will never talk to me again because her policy came 3 days late. She had me drop it in her mailbox and said that she never wanted to talk to me again. She is still a client after almost 2 years and we still haven't talked.
It's funny. the ones that you want to lose never go away.

Similar story - i had aclient 2 years ago great rapport when out to do mtg in person. I said I'd email hima brochure whenm i go home- did but it was returned to junkmail because I transposed letters -then called him back 4 days later to tell him he was issued and he told me he wouldnt deal with me because I wasnt a man of my word and he hung up.

We all have these war stories with as Rush would say the ugloamericans

You will never be able to please everyone in any sort of business that you are in, this is no exception. The sad part is, even if you do get across to him that you are in the right here, he will be to embarrassed to do business w/ you anyway, in my experience.

Move on and look for the next person who wants, needs, and values your expertise, there are plenty out there.

Put the app on the ground, slowly raise your hands up, and walk away . . .

So should I ignore his emails and calls? In my heart it doesn't seem very "professional" of me, but at the same time, I do want a way to get him to go away and leave me alone.

Back