What to look for in Training?

What should I look for in a company's training program? Will it only entail product education or will other areas like prospecting and objection handling be covered?

I was under the incorrect impression I would be appointed to a few companies and sell whatever policy was best. Without knowing much about health insurance, how do figure out who offers the best product? How important is name recognition?

There is no "best" product. There is only the best product for that particular client and that client's situation. And unfortunately that's where the learning curve comes into play - which is about 6 to 8 months.

Last edited:
Agreed. I would make a hobby out of reading insurance policies and brochures until you know them like the back of your hand. Keep a few binders of all policies, underwriting guidelines, etc. for quick reference.

Do what I did when I was new - make an Excel spreadsheet and list all the benefits available, then go company by company. You can do the same with rates - just take your average family and do a chart showing each company.

Do what I did when I was new - make an Excel spreadsheet and list all the benefits available, then go company by company. You can do the same with rates - just take your average family and do a chart showing each company.

If anybody has that speadsheet already done...name your price. I've been trying to do it and..I'M SO CONFUSED!

This is the kind of stuff I design for self study. This is not for clients - it's not compliant since it not a complete listing of the benefits and exclusions. I have to add Coventry to this.

Attachments

• Maryland PPO plans comparison 2007.doc
    48 KB · Views: 53
If anybody has that speadsheet already done...name your price. I've been trying to do it and..I'M SO CONFUSED!

$1995.00 will get you every spreadsheet I have (25 thus far) in the states I sell in (5 thus far). This would easily take you over 200 hours to complete yourself. Make the check out to Borat LLC. :)

Rates change quarterly. There are so many variables to consider a spread sheet would take forever to compose and would be out-dated within 90 days.

The best spread sheet is a service like Quotit. It is always acccurate. Can within seconds point out which plans are "best" (purely from a rate standpoint) in any particular situation.

The more you run quotes (with or without a service such as Quotit) the better feel you will get for carriers & plans.

I can tell you before even starting that in some parts of my state Blue will be unbeatable. In other areas they are middle of the road to lousy. At older ages usually Time & Blue do better than GR.

Humana & Celtic are not good anywhere.

Aetna is a crap shoot.

Blue also looks good under age 30 as does GR.

Without factoring in underwriting, my Quotit software will tell me exactly what I need to know in talking to a client. That is the best $80 per month I can spend.

Back