What To Look For When Seeking An IMO

jmatos

Guru
100+ Post Club
Arkansas
I have seen many Independent or Independent seeking agents fall for the first IMO that comes along because they were seeking "TOP LEVEL" commissions rather than a few other very important attributes of a great IMO. Don't get me wrong, I myself look for the best commissions, but just wanted to share a few things with you outside of the commissions.

Look for an IMO that does not have office hours! Most Life and Health Insurance agents are in the field after 5:00 pm, and I find that I have needed my IMO the most after 5:00 pm.

Make sure they have more than one way to contact them. Do they welcome you to contact them at any time? A good IMO will welcome cell phone calls, text messages, emails, and other means to help you complete the sale.

How fast do they respond to you when you have to leave a message or an email? While I am always fully prepared in the field, there are times I run into some underwriting Issues and I cant afford to wait a day or two for my IMO to get back in contact with me.

Does The IMO know anything about selling Insurance? Can they offer prospecting ideas and techniques? Can they provide you with the their personal expertise that has been tried, proven, and tested through their own sales experience in the field?

Make sure you have a clear understanding who the Agent of Record will be? Read the contracts with each company that you seek appointment through.

Dont take your IMO's word that a good company is good because he/she says so. I suggest doing a GOOGLE Search for the name of the company. Search the Ripoff Report | Scams, reviews, complaints, lawsuits and frauds. File a report, post your review. Consumers educating consumers. ....if you are going to build your own agency in your community you dont want to be representing a company that has a bad reputation, or will cause you to lose business down the road! Remember Bad news travels faster than good news. It will take several years to get a good reputation on the field, and only 1 mistake can ruin you forever! It wouldn't hurt to search your IMO here also.

Get a clear understanding of your commissions. How you will get paid, etc. in most cases this will vary with each company. Ask questions.

Do NOT assign commissions!

Others may have something to add as well

Last edited:
Currently the agency that I work with has a 1 BGA but with very limited product for Life. Mostly, they offer Term and I need a little more variety with Variable and other Whole life products. Additionally, would like to start offering DI. I really liked the post that Jmatos shared and thought perhaps he might offer some quality suggestions....but if he isn't playing any more....I have been researching for a list of top rated BGAs/IMOs with no success. If there are any current suggestions out there....please, I really would appreciate it!! Some of the posts I have found are a bit outdated....TY

Currently the agency that I work with has a 1 BGA but with very limited product for Life. Mostly, they offer Term and I need a little more variety with Variable and other Whole life products. Additionally, would like to start offering DI. I really liked the post that Jmatos shared and thought perhaps he might offer some quality suggestions....but if he isn't playing any more....I have been researching for a list of top rated BGAs/IMOs with no success. If there are any current suggestions out there....please, I really would appreciate it!! Some of the posts I have found are a bit outdated....TY

Jmatos was a door knocking, survey guy...he hadn't posted in about 3 years...chances are...he's no longer in the business. Fwiw, he was a FE guy

I have seen many Independent or Independent seeking agents fall for the first IMO that comes along because they were seeking "TOP LEVEL" commissions rather than a few other very important attributes of a great IMO. Don't get me wrong, I myself look for the best commissions, but just wanted to share a few things with you outside of the commissions.

Look for an IMO that does not have office hours! Most Life and Health Insurance agents are in the field after 5:00 pm, and I find that I have needed my IMO the most after 5:00 pm.

Make sure they have more than one way to contact them. Do they welcome you to contact them at any time? A good IMO will welcome cell phone calls, text messages, emails, and other means to help you complete the sale.

How fast do they respond to you when you have to leave a message or an email? While I am always fully prepared in the field, there are times I run into some underwriting Issues and I cant afford to wait a day or two for my IMO to get back in contact with me.

Does The IMO know anything about selling Insurance? Can they offer prospecting ideas and techniques? Can they provide you with the their personal expertise that has been tried, proven, and tested through their own sales experience in the field?

Make sure you have a clear understanding who the Agent of Record will be? Read the contracts with each company that you seek appointment through.

Dont take your IMO's word that a good company is good because he/she says so. I suggest doing a GOOGLE Search for the name of the company. Search the Ripoff Report | Scams, reviews, complaints, lawsuits and frauds. File a report, post your review. Consumers educating consumers. ....if you are going to build your own agency in your community you dont want to be representing a company that has a bad reputation, or will cause you to lose business down the road! Remember Bad news travels faster than good news. It will take several years to get a good reputation on the field, and only 1 mistake can ruin you forever! It wouldn't hurt to search your IMO here also.

Get a clear understanding of your commissions. How you will get paid, etc. in most cases this will vary with each company. Ask questions.

Do NOT assign commissions!

Others may have something to add as well

Bump

I know this is old but that is some good stuff.

Back