What Was Your FIRST Insurance Sale? Mainly Senior Market?

entrep1776

Guru
100+ Post Club
Thread on here where agents had biggest days of $10k. HOME RUN

I'm more interested in agents getting a SINGLE or getting on base even if they had to lean in and get hit by a pitch to get on base.

How did you find your first sale?
How much money did you get?
Anything interesting/exciting about 1st sale?

My first sale was off a shared health insurance lead, got $480 in commission. I then started cold calling business owners for term and health insurance, shortly thereafter I landed my favorite clients (couple) and made 10k off their term, and more from their health insurance, dental, vision, hearing, medicare supplements, and ltc over the 6 years.
Regarding excitement of landing a sale...it never goes away like a drug.

I'm more interested in agents getting a SINGLE or getting on base even if they had to lean in and get hit by a pitch to get on base.

My first insurance sale was off an old Mortgage Protection lead after being 'no showed' twice earlier that day (lesson learned was to not set appointments further than 2 days out ....). Husband was a part-time construction worker. I wrote a 15 yr level term through Americo that covered half the total mortgage amount.

I was on a 60% contract at the time and I believe I made about $300

Still on the books today ;)

Last edited:

My first life insurance sale was from a lead. And that was term. But it was a term lead.

My first whole sale was also from a lead.

Stop trying to reinvent the wheel. It's already been invented.

My first sale was a term policy to a friend. I should have earned about $900, but ended up getting paid $0 because the agency I was with kept my commission. Long ugly story, and tough lesson learned.... one of many unfortunately. Coming into this business bass ackwards and having to go through the school of hard knocks sucks.

Question - when you say lead do you only count store bought leads?

I don't know what you are trying to stir this time. I answered the question asked.

What the hell does that have to do with what I count?

If you got something to say why do it with riddles?

My first insurance sale was two pre-need funeral policies to a man and his wife (she had Alzheimer's) and his daughter was there as the main decision maker.

I was on a terrible commission plan then (didn't know it.) I the funeral total was $5,000 to $5.999 we made 5%. If it was $6,000 to 6,999 we made 6%, etc. up to a max of 10%.

I sold two in the $6,000 range so I thought they combined and got 10%. I was jazzed! I thought all evening that I made around $1,300. Found out the next day (much to the delight of the loser co-workers) that I was wrong and got 6%. So I made around $780 on that sale. I was a little bit crushed but still jazzed that I made my first sales. (PreNeed commissions pay off of face amounts not premium amounts. )

It would be a couple of years later before I knew enough about the biz to know how screwed I had been on that pay plan. That sale would have paid me over $2,000 on a good commission plan. But I still made just under $80,000 that first year with zero expenses and started collecting the experience and knowledge that put me where I am today.

I don't know what you are trying to stir this time. I answered the question asked.

What the hell does that have to do with what I count?

If you got something to say why do it with riddles?

My 1st insurance sale was in 1973 and it was a big one. I was given a lapse card on an older couple on a $25 a year cancer policy to see if I could rewrite it. I did and made $10 plus $5 of the $6 policy fee, for a whopping $15. It wasn't much but it was a sale. As one of my old Branch Managers would say..."it's better than a kick in the pants".:twitchy:

I don't know about you JD, but I consider lapse cards to be leads. It's possible that Wino wasn't stirring...highly unlikely, but possible. :laugh:

There are all kinds of leads, whether they be DM, TM, avatar, referrals or a name off of a targeted data list(before data lists, I used to write down "old" sounding names out of the phone book to cold door knock, and to me they were leads).:yes:

I'm guessing the leads you were referring to were DM.

My 1st insurance sale was in 1973 and it was a big one. I was given a lapse card on an older couple on a $25 a year cancer policy to see if I could rewrite it. I did and made $10 plus $5 of the $6 policy fee, for a whopping $15. It wasn't much but it was a sale. As one of my old Branch Managers would say..."it's better than a kick in the pants".:twitchy:

I don't know about you JD, but I consider lapse cards to be leads. It's possible that Wino wasn't stirring...highly unlikely, but possible. :laugh:

There are all kinds of leads, whether they be DM, TM, avatar, referrals or a name off of a targeted data list(before data lists, I used to write down "old" sounding names out of the phone book to cold door knock, and to me they were leads).:yes:

I'm guessing the leads you were referring to were DM.

Hey now we know about how old you are. You were out selling the year before I was even born.

Back