What Will Happen to My Book of Business ?

tim.ontelone

What will happen to my book of business during the health care reform ? I am california broker with Individual & group clients.

The best thing to do is going to be to contact a rep at each of them. "Healthcare reform" has already started and is going to be going on for a while. There are commission cuts, changes to plans, and a bunch of other things going on. I get the impression you're not very active with your book?

This is my take, the carrier reps know nothing:

Your wealthier clients (above 45k Ind and 90k for families) with grandfathered plans will stay on the books. All other lower income will buy from the exchange, which you may be able to participate in CA.

Any clients written after 3/23/10 are not grandfathered, and the plan will blow up due GI requirements. Lower income will buy from state exchange, higher income will buy off the exchange or pay the penalty.

Much depends on what HHS decides regarding roll up of existing plans, including non-grandfathered ones sold prior to 1/1/2014.

If those plans are required to come in to compliance with rate structure and plan benefits of 2014 policies you can anticipate that most will go away. If they can remain unchanged you might be able to keep at least some of them.

The new policies, even with subsidies, will be unaffordable for many unless they are on the extreme low end of the income scale.

Of course it remains to be seen if there will be any funding for subsidies . . .

Then there is no point in having the label of GF and Non GF. Two carrier reps have expressed they will have to upgrade non GF policies.

At the end of the day, everyone above the poverty level will be paying 8-10% of their income, a lot higher than what they pay today. Kaboom!!

Bill, I don't ask carrier reps. I go a bit higher.

You are attempting to make a logical argument on a law that bears no resemblance to logic or reason.

When you consider HHS has issued some 13,000 pages of rules and regulations on a 2700 page bill you know we are in trouble.

The law said nothing that prohibited carriers from refusing to issue a policy on a child under 19. That was added after the fact by HHS.

Nothing in the law required religious entities to provide free contraceptives. Again, another HHS ruling.

I asked God, is that high enough? JK

Both reps were head of national distribution, hopefully that's high enough.

I doubt HHS will come out with regs that forgive NON GF plans from not complying, otherwise, whats the point of having them distinguished. They gave waivers initially so people don't lose what they currently have, but that's only until 2014

Back