What will happen to supplement 1 in Massachusetts come 2020?

The article cited includes this sentence:

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts also offers a Medicare Select Medigap plan, in addition to the Core Plan and Supplement 1 (Prior to 2006, Massachusetts also had Medicare Supplement 2, which included coverage for prescription drugs; nationwide, all Medigap plans that included prescription drugs ceased to be available for purchase after the end of 2005 — people began enrolling in Medicare Part D instead — but people who had Supplement 2 in Massachusetts were allowed to keep it if they wanted to).

The part in parentheses, which I bolded, is what I referred to above.

No, the article does not answer your question about the current situation. It does show Massachusetts' prior response to a major previous change in Medicare coverage. I think it is reasonable to assume that a similar type change will be made in Supplement 1 wording for 2020 in regard to the part B deductible.

Since we are talking about government(s) and insurance, anything is possible, but I think it highly unlikely that the federal government would allow a state government an exception from a national policy meant to reduce usage of an underfunded federal entitlement program.

Note, I am not an insurance agent, but I certainly would not encourage any 2020 and later newly entitled Massachusetts residents to expect to be able to have medigap insurance coverage for the Part B deductible.

This doesn't fully answer your question, but this is the best article (from a reliable source) I was able to find so far. Hopefully we'll be able to find more information soon.

https://www.naic.org/documents/cmte_b_senior_issues_related_macra_faq_2018.pdf

4. Do the MACRA changes impact waivered states?
Three states (MA, MN and WI) obtained waivers from implementing the standardized Medicare Supplement plans because these states already had statewide standardized plans prior to 1990. Yes, these waivered states must comply with eliminating coverage for the Part B deductible.

12. Do waiver states have to adopt these changes?
Yes, waiver states (MA, MN and WI) must adopt these changes so that their Medigap rules conform to federal law.

I also tried checking out the state Medigap guides included below, but I couldn't find any information there:
MN: Minnesota Health Care Choices
WI: https://oci.wi.gov/Documents/Consumers/PI-002.pdf
MA: https://www.mass.gov/files/documents/2019/01/04/medigap_2019_0.pdf and https://www.mass.gov/files/document...for People With Medicare January 1 2019_0.pdf

The best course of action I could find is to call the state departments / divisions of insurance. When I tried reaching the Massachusetts Division of Insurance I was told to reach out to the Bureau of Managed Care by emailing them at [email protected]. That's exactly what I have done and hopefully will have an answer soon.

@JustinTime , I don't know why I have not noticed this before, but did your parents really name you Justin Time?

I am guessing not. Probably just a screen name.

Regardless, I appreciate the information and advice you offer. The forum would not be the same without you.

I did receive an email back from the Minnesota Department of Commerce and here's the main part of what they shared...

"Overall, we are required to prohibit the sale of any Medicare Supplement plans that cover the Part B deductibles to newly eligible Medicare beneficiaries. Overall, the plan designs will change, not the offering of the plans. Also, we are currently awaiting the approval of the MACRA conformity legislation to be approved during this Minnesota legislative session. The requirements of MACRA have not been enacted into MN law. There are currently two bills we are watching, HF 2051/ SF 2313 and SF 1680/HF 1373. If you would like to look up the bills and follow them, please use this link:

Bill Search, Status, and MyBills - Minnesota State Legislature

Since we are awaiting the approval of the MACRA conformity legislation, we are not certain of all of the changes that may occur. After this legislative season is complete, we will be able to provide you and other consumers more information."

I heard from the Wisconsin Office of the Commissioner of Insurance and found out that their office is in the process of adopting amendments to their Medicare supplement rule to comply with MACRA. A hearing is scheduled for May 10. Once the rule is finalized, their office will issue a Bulletin.

I haven't heard from the Massachusetts Department of Insurance yet.

Back