What Will My Comprehensive Coverage Cover?

DrumminD21311

I have some random damage to my car, and I was wondering if my state far comprehensive coverage would likely cover it. I have scratches on the outside of my car from a tornado I was in. I have a scratch in the paint on my bumper which I noticed after the tornado, but it looks like someone backed into me. Some plastic on my sunroof broke off one day, I'm not exactly sure how. I think I was pulling on it by accident. A plastic tab on my passenger door power switch broke when I was trying to remove it to install a speaker. What will the comprehensive coverage cover?

The easiest way is to call your insurer/agent/broker. If you broke it, comprehensive does not cover it.
Here are a few examples of comprehensive coverage:
you hit an animal with your car, hail damage, theft, fire, etc. Someone backed in to you - will more than likely be a collision claim. In hit and run claims, there is no way to tell if you backed in to some one or if some one hit you. The stuff you broke is out of your pocket.

Advice - don't think you can get one over on the insurance company for some of these items you mentioned. Adjusters see multiple claims every day, all year long. I worked p/c market for about 8 years. We had 2 adjsters in our office and got to know them very well. We often would compare stories and how somethings could be coverage and how somethings just could not. THey know what is realistic and what is not. Be honest with your representative. It will often get you the most help possible. Good luck.

normal wear and tear will not be covered AND each event is a separate claim, which means separate deductibles.

The only thing that comp coverage might cover that you mentioned is the actual tornado damage. Hopefully, the tornado was recent, since there is a timeline on when claims can be filed.

The random plastic parts - go buy the part and replace it, odds are, it will be less than your deductible.

Somebody hitting your car would be covered under your collision coverage, subject to the deductible.

Everything is a separate claim, each has a deductible apply.

Good luck!

Dan

Back