What Would Be Good Production for a Single Agent?

plannerman

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
I am wandering everyone's thoughts on this, since I do not have access to other agents production information. What do you think is good enough production to be considered a successful agency if it is a singular agent? Since the first half of the year is over I found this to be a fitting time to ask. I began to focus solely on Medicare this year and through six months we wrote 42 new apps. My goal is to get to 100 by year end and next year goal will be 150. I would think something like this:

Less than 5 years - 50 a year
5-10. Between 50-100
10 years plus over 100 a year

Thoughts?

My goal was 3 new apps a week when I first started in 2006. I believe having a tangible goal helps keep you focused and temper the ups and downs.

I'd say 50 in your first 6 months is a solid start. I would also start to think how you can fill your pipeline for the AEP, ie orphan accounts, spouses/siblings of your 50 clients that came up in conversation. There are so many niches specific to your area that you can maximize, for example maybe a major hospital got dropped from a mapd plan. Try exploiting those opportunities on a local level and you will have success.

Once you get past year 3, you should be in the driver's seat! What part of the country are you in?

My goal was 3 new apps a week when I first started in 2006. I believe having a tangible goal helps keep you focused and temper the ups and downs. I'd say 50 in your first 6 months is a solid start. I would also start to think how you can fill your pipeline for the AEP, ie orphan accounts, spouses/siblings of your 50 clients that came up in conversation. There are so many niches specific to your area that you can maximize, for example maybe a major hospital got dropped from a mapd plan. Try exploiting those opportunities on a local level and you will have success. Once you get past year 3, you should be in the driver's seat! What part of the country are you in?

I am in Missouri. We have done Medicare for years but this is the first year that I am truly focused on it alone. Obamacare helped me focus haha.

That's pretty impressive. I have 4 agents in my office doing the same thing (plus myself- selling MedSups over the phone in multiple states). What ages are you soliciting? 65-74? Those numbers she is putting down is really something considering she is brand new. I wonder how many are being placed- approved because the UW is tricky on these unless she is marketing T65 (which would be incredible if she is doing that much OE biz).

I think I understand your question, but I'd encourage you to define your own definition of success about 1000 times over any response you'd get from here. Not knocking the people on here (not all of them at least) but choose your own definition of success in your career. And the sooner the better.

That being said I do understand you're trying to gauge your progress which is understandable. But the very reason you're asking this question is also the answer.

Any average sales person can sell Medicare products. I don't believe you mentioned which Medicare product you sell....MAPD...supps?

But based on the context of your question, the bottom line is simple: The most successful producers, also have the best marketing. End of story.

Sure you can overcome objections and go through all the B.S. "rock star" sales training. But in the end, even a mediocre sales rep can become a top producer with great marketing. And a top producer can suck with junk leads.

But to answer your question, I have a brand new agent who's first full month on the phones was June. We sell Med supps only by phone in multiple states. She submitted 47 med supps her first full month on the phones, and she could have done more but we're changing CRM's and it was a bit clunky. July's goals for her are 65 which we have no doubt she'll hit. A month and a half ago she had no idea what Medicare supplement insurance was and wasn't even licensed. I did train her myself and gave her full support, but I'm only one part of the equation.

She's averaging a close rate of almost 25%. Is she a badass sales person? Yep. Is she driven to succeed? Yep. Could she sell computers and be a top producer for Dell? Yep. But not without leads or people to sell to.

Her leads are the best in the industry. So a great sales person, combined with great leads, usually should result in great outcomes.

If you're half a decent sales person I'd focus on your marketing more than anything else. Especially locally. Be better than anyone else in your state, or at least be way more visible and especially LIKABLE.

Every one of her apps submitted has been issued except for last week's as it's just month's end. We don't submit UW apps unless we're quite sure they'll get through. We write everyone we can, though this year's numbers are leaning towards T65 at about 60% and 40% UW over 65. Rarely do we ever do U65 or over 80, but we will if needed. She was seriously motivated and had sales experience already, but then she entered into an already proven sales process that I teach to my agents, the very best leads, along with sales tools already set up. It's not just one thing, but a combination of factors like any successful business.

Those numbers are simply amazing! If she were getting 600 new a year x a crappy $250 per contract per year she is at 150000 in one year! If you have this system I will blow up my agency and come work for you. We spend about 7k a year to get 100 you have to be spending a bunch.

Back