What Would Be Good Production for a Single Agent?

I write these numbers all the time, several times a day. Then I ball up my list of things I wish for and throw them away.

I am skeptical of those numbers because the agent has made no effort to even vaguely describe his / her lead method. Could it be that this lucky new agent spent $4,000 up front for the 200 plus leads she would need to write this kind of business? Maybe. More possible than probable. I can say from expereince that the leads were not free and not generated by the agent (not via cold call etc). That means either someone sold or gave her the leads. If the agent has 4 others agents working for him (I believe that's what he wrote), and they all were treated equally, his agency is purchasing or generating close to 1,000 leads per month. That's a big number - and it leaves me skeptical because I have not seen anyone generate that many leads without being in the lead business.

I'm quite certain that Bevo isn't losing one bit of sleep over you being skeptical about his numbers. I can assure you if I had a marketing system that was producing big numbers like that I wouldn't reveal any of it to my potential competitors. Fortunately I have a decent size book and work off renewals alone. This is my marketing pitch in a nutshell. "Build a book, treat the customer right and referrals will come".

I also recall a time when some agents said it was impossible to sell insurance (any type) without meeting face to face with the prospect. Then it was, "well, you can't sell enough to make a living that way". Next came, "well, you can't have good persistency". Then came, "you can't build a relationship without meeting F2F".

Virtually all of my business is done over the phone (unless it's an investment client). And I make a pretty decent living doing what I do.

My point is, you can be skeptical but it doesn't change anything. When I started in this business in 1989 I couldn't have fathomed sitting in an office in my home wearing shorts and a golf shirt and getting new clients every week AND making the money I now make. If someone had told me a year or two into my career that this was possible I would have been VERY skeptical. But here I am, living proof that it can be done.

It's hard for me to imagine a newby submitting 47 apps in their first full month. But I also understand that she hasn't had anyone telling her she couldn't do it. She has someone teaching her how to do it and not putting any limitations on her. Sometimes we think because we haven't done it or can't conceive it then it isn't possible. Either Bevo REALLY knows how to BS or he actually knows what he's talking about. He's posted enough on the forum for me to believe he's not BSing. And I don't blame him for not sharing the details of his marketing system.

My next venture is building a website (or paying someone) and then learning how to organically get it to page 1 of google. My downfall is that I've gotten very comfortable with my way of doing things so I haven't had a "need" for a website. I assume if I learn the ins and outs and put in the work then I'll get some leads from it. Then I can decide whether or not it's worth the effort. I'm smart enough to know it's not something you can just put on auto pilot. So I really just have to decide if I'm willing to put in the hours it takes to keep a website relevant enough to get to page 1 and drive traffic. Then it has to be compelling enough to get the consumer to follow through with either providing their contact info and/or prompting them to call. I have no idea what it will take. But I'm willing to at least learn and then decide if I feel it's worth the effort.

MattC, no one here owes you anything.

Any advice given by Bevo, me or anyone else is out of generosity and a desire to in some small way pay forward to others for the things we have learned over the years.

Most of what we know comes from trial and error plus listening to what those who are successful have learned and are willing to share.

I have had the good fortune over the years to learn from some top producers in their field and I never regretted it.

As Scott (sman) said, those of us who have been around long enough have seen what Bevo posts to know he knows the Medicare business. He has also been willing to PM me from time to time with some pointers. Others here have done the same and some even call or email with words of wisdom.

There are literally acres of diamonds on this forum for those who are willing to open their eyes and look.

Last edited:
I have seen enough bull**t on this site not to take someones word for their "machine like performance" based on baseless chest pounding.

That doesn't make me a moron ...just a skeptic. (I know that is a big word for you..but it's not a bad word. It's kinda like a person who does not take everything they read on the internet as true...because it's on the internet.)

You on other hand ...well I suggest you take your hand out of your pants the before you type next time.. in all the excitement it appears you got your brain stuck in your zipper. :D

Thank you for proving my point, yet again.

You are a moron.

MattC, no one hear owes you anything.

Any advice given by Bevo, me or anyone else is out of generosity and a desire to in some small way pay forward to others for the things we have learned over the years.

Most of what we know comes from trial and error plus listening to what those who are successful have learned and are willing to share.

I have had the good fortune over the years to learn from some top producers in their field and I never regretted it.

As Scott (sman) said, those of us who have been around long enough have seen what Bevo posts to know he knows the Medicare business. He has also been willing to PM me from time to time with some pointers. Others here have done the same and some even call or email with words of wisdom.

There are literally acres of diamonds on this forum for those who are willing to open their eyes and look.

I have not suggested in anyway that Bevo or anyone else owes me anything. I did not call "Bullshit" to what he said, or claimed he did not know what he was talking about.. or anything disrespectful. I quite clearly noted that I am skeptical, nothing more. It simply means that "I" do not have enough information to take what was said on its word. That is not insulting or degrading to anyone and shouldn't be taken as such. It's simply factual.Whenever a person makes 6-sigma claims without even vague support it is worthy of healthy skeptism. I would be surprised if it bruised his ego or bothered him in any way.

Yes, there is some good information on this forum, and much of what I have learned about the Medicare industry has come from people willing to share and who have nothing to gain other than the satisfaction of giving. That's a good thing. It's also eye opening to look through the posting history of many forum participants and see the questions they asked just few years ago. No one here started out "all knowing". There are many good people on this forum that remember that.

Unfortunately, there are others whose use this forum as a soap box for their ego. Those are easily identified as people quick to put down and insult others in an effort to make themselves appear to be more than what they are. We find those people in real life too.

I have been in the finance industry since 1984. I am not new to insurance, new to finance, new to sales, new to marketing or new to world. I share what I know when I can and there is still much to learn.

At first I found Bevos #s hard to believe, that is only because I am not there yet. As one poster said if I write 10 in a month I feel great about it, or used to haha. Anyway I think you can take his #s and go one of two ways.

1. I do not believe you prove it
2. You bastard now I have to figure out how to write 50 a month to be highly successful

Thank you for sharing Bevo. All I am looking for is what is considered a solid month. I am going with 20 plus apps at 250 a piece or more as my solid month. I have written 10 several times now the goal is 20!

BTW some folks have indicated they thought I was new. We currently have 600 Medicare clients but I have built that very slowly over 14 years, it's time to ramp up.

At first I found Bevos #s hard to believe, that is only because I am not there yet. As one poster said if I write 10 in a month I feel great about it, or used to haha. Anyway I think you can take his #s and go one of two ways.

1. I do not believe you prove it
2. You bastard now I have to figure out how to write 50 a month to be highly successful

Thank you for sharing Bevo. All I am looking for is what is considered a solid month. I am going with 20 plus apps at 250 a piece or more as my solid month. I have written 10 several times now the goal is 20!

BTW some folks have indicated they thought I was new. We currently have 600 Medicare clients but I have built that very slowly over 14 years, it's time to ramp up.

I find I am doing 15 to 20 maybe a little better when I am focused and have my marketing in order, Bevo's comments really got to think and want to focus more on the right marketing and drop the less expensive time consuming leads, I see 20 plus on a reg basis, very doable now.

By the way I have been starting to pull more leads in MO as of late, its really good state and good premiums, $250 is a low number for annual commish, I am doing $350 plus annual in MO easy

MO has the anniversary (or is it birthday?) rule. Frank Stastny talked about how premiums were higher there but also said commission was lower.

MO has the anniversary (or is it birthday?) rule. Frank Stastny talked about how premiums were higher there but also said commission was lower.

If you are talking GI but still full for underwritten, I am only starting to pull leads in MO, first time since before I knew what I was doing, However I have wrote buis in CA and didn't get hurt by Bday rule.

Hey now, everyone stay out of Missouri. Commissions are crap and the people are mean. Plus persistency is horrible.

In all seriousness, if you work your tail off, you can easily do 50/mo. I've hit that number consistently off t65 mailers, referrals from clients, advisor client referrals, and ACA clients turning 65. I think that Bevo hits the nail on the head. Have as many marketing irons in the fire, rep every mapd carrier, the top med sup/pdp players in your area, let the client know you are unbiased and get paid either direction they choose. Then explain the options and help them decide. Anyone else in Missouri going to make Trans Ireland trip?

Actually I have a question about the MO anniversary rule, My Clients spouse needs it. Is it like the CA bday where you can go from F to G or does it have to be F to F?

Every example I had seen show F to F works but C to F does not but no info on going down a Letter to G

Back