Whats a Good Book or Course to Learn P&C Insurance ?

Jimmy Prince

Expert
This is for someone that dont know anything about insurance. I have a disc my friend gave me for P&C from Kaplan but i couldnt answer one question.so is there a book or a course that teaches you about this?

No books will teach you about insurance as getting in the field and getting your feet wet. Maybe you can go have a mentor or work in insurance office as a CSR at the start and go from there.

You might want to work for state farm , farmers, allstate office at The start to learn the product as they have for there staff an online training courses that will teach you the product. Good luck kid.

If you know absolutely nothing then get licensed. That's a great way to learn. After that go find a mentor/boss who will teach you since you have the p&c license. If you want to learn more then go get your CIC and CPCU designation, which should fill in some holes on things.

A lot of this industry is taught from the school of hard knocks. There isn't much you can do about it though.

License, OJT, designations. Those are going to be your 3 biggest places to learn, with the emphasis on the middle. That's the cream filling in your O&C oreo.

Dumb question Here. whats OJT, designations ? IAm 50 years old and this is all new to me.

OJT is on-the-job training.

Designations are the things that show you have completed certain learning requirements and/or passed a test. For example, CPA is a designation for accountants. You are an accountant but a CPA is something extra you obtain in order to show you know more. Some mechanics get the same thing, or doctors.

CIC- Certified Insurance Counselor. You take a few classes and take a test after each class. Each class is like 2 days but they are allllll day. This is, in my opinion, one of the easiest to get that actually could be useful. It'll teach about owning an agency, property and casualty (personal and commercial) and life and health. It's not a bad overview.

CPCU- THE big designation for property and casualty, it's the Chartered Property and Casualty Underwriter designation. Most people don't care but for the ones that do it has some weight. It takes like 2 years to get this one but you learn a lot about P&C.

CLU- The equivalent for the life insurance, you know a lot about the life insurance side and some financial planning.

CFP- Certified Financial Planner. You need a 4 year degree and some classes and a LONGGGG test for this one. I don't think it's worth it in my opinion, there are other designations for it.

ChFC- More on the financial planning side of life insurance other types of insurance. Most people get this after their CLU; I don't see many people with JUST this.

LUTCF- This one teaches a lot about the actual selling and prospecting of insurance and foundations for life insurance. I like this one because it shows you the basics for selling, which you won't succeed without.

There are a bunch more but these are a lot of my favorite. I personally feel that the CPCU and CIC are the only real major designations for P&C, but many would argue against it. It depends on what you want to learn.

I personally like CIC, CPCU, LUTCF, and CLU. I think those 4 are what anyone what ever really need unless they have a specific market that they target. I think though that you will find most people don't care about these letters after your name, but that you know your stuff. If you don't care then don't worry about them caring either...

Back