What's a New Guy to Do?

I've been reading and researching on here and other places on the net and find it a little discouraging at times. I know what i want to do as a career and not necessarily looking to make a "killing" in the insurance industry. I was a Pastor for 2 years as well as an Associate Pastor for two years prior to that along with working as a youth minister. That said, I have a helpers heart and want to help people.

Being new to the insurance industry, I want to research and make an informed decision about who I want to work with. But it seems that the ONLY job prospects I am getting are from those that most on here are calling MLM's and rip-off's for agents or producers. I'm talking about NAA, AFLAC, BL&C and others of this ilk.

My question then is this. What's a new agent or producer to do when the only "prospect's" they are getting are from companies like these? It seems to me that unless you already know someone in the business that wants to help you, which is few, far and between, how do you get a foot in the door?

I know, go to local independent agents and do walk-in's. I've done that and everyone that I've been in so far say they have no room.

It gets frustrating and makes you think this is the good-ole-buddy network and unless you are in the circle, you're screwed.

Oh, and trying to research on here at times gets frustrating too because you have to weed through pages and pages of bickering before you can find anything relevant. So I like when a noob get's on here and asks a question, the answer is to do a search. Well, that search more times than not, returns pages of rants between agents about how much more the other knows than the other.

All I want is a chance. I'm confident and have a diverse background that makes me a great candidate to not only help out a local agent but also become a great agent myself. This is what I want to do but seems like all I'm doing is spinning my wheels in mud sometimes.

I have an in-house interview today with NAA. I'm gonna go and pick their brains. I've also been offered a "job" with AFLAC and Banker's Life. A lot of negative out there about all 3 but they are the only one's willing to give me the chance. As I'm nearing the 40 year mark, it's not like I have as many years to make bad decisions and correct them like I did when I was 20.

Thanks for letting me rant. Any help or advice is welcome, especially if you know someone around the Triad area of North Carolina. :)

Hopefully other people will chime in with some advice and you can weigh your options.

I personally do not believe you need to "do your time" with a captive shop - especially one that teaches you incorrect methods that you have to unlearn.

You have the option of going independent. It's a rough but rewarding road that will require a large commitment.

You're in NC so I wouldn't recommend individual health. From what I understand, Blue Cross has that market locked up and it's near impossible to get appointed. That's old info I have and you'll need to check to see if it's changed.

My personal recommendation would be to get into senior products - med supps. There are people on this board who can absolutely provide you with training on senior products and there seem to be proven "do-able" marketing methods to get off the ground.

I'm sure I'll get slammed for this comment (bring it on) but I've seen very little success in getting off the ground with general life products as an independent newbie unless you started with a companies such as NY Life, Monumental, etc...

It's also my strong recommendation that whatever you decided to do, start out by setting and running appointments. Selling online is an advanced technique for people who have been in the biz a while.

Last edited:
I've been reading and researching on here and other places on the net and find it a little discouraging at times. I know what i want to do as a career and not necessarily looking to make a "killing" in the insurance industry. I was a Pastor for 2 years as well as an Associate Pastor for two years prior to that along with working as a youth minister. That said, I have a helpers heart and want to help people.

Being new to the insurance industry, I want to research and make an informed decision about who I want to work with. But it seems that the ONLY job prospects I am getting are from those that most on here are calling MLM's and rip-off's for agents or producers. I'm talking about NAA, AFLAC, BL&C and others of this ilk.

My question then is this. What's a new agent or producer to do when the only "prospect's" they are getting are from companies like these? It seems to me that unless you already know someone in the business that wants to help you, which is few, far and between, how do you get a foot in the door?

I know, go to local independent agents and do walk-in's. I've done that and everyone that I've been in so far say they have no room.

It gets frustrating and makes you think this is the good-ole-buddy network and unless you are in the circle, you're screwed.

Oh, and trying to research on here at times gets frustrating too because you have to weed through pages and pages of bickering before you can find anything relevant. So I like when a noob get's on here and asks a question, the answer is to do a search. Well, that search more times than not, returns pages of rants between agents about how much more the other knows than the other.

All I want is a chance. I'm confident and have a diverse background that makes me a great candidate to not only help out a local agent but also become a great agent myself. This is what I want to do but seems like all I'm doing is spinning my wheels in mud sometimes.

I have an in-house interview today with NAA. I'm gonna go and pick their brains. I've also been offered a "job" with AFLAC and Banker's Life. A lot of negative out there about all 3 but they are the only one's willing to give me the chance. As I'm nearing the 40 year mark, it's not like I have as many years to make bad decisions and correct them like I did when I was 20.

Thanks for letting me rant. Any help or advice is welcome, especially if you know someone around the Triad area of North Carolina. :)

I would probably go independent as well and here's how I'd do it:

Call up FIG (financial independence group) figmarketing.com and talk to them about getting appointed with some good term life comapanies. Then start cold calling from a list for mortgage protection. Do nothing but sell mortgage protection term insurance until you get good at it. When you're good, learn another product and add to your quiver. Rinse and repeat and you'll be up and running on your own in no time.

The key is not getting bogged down with learning multiple products and trying to be a jack of all trades. Simplify and perfect.

It sounds like you aren't thrilled with the options you currently have. If you really want to go independent and find an agent willing to take you under his/her wing, I would say find a way to make yourself stand out from the rest. Maybe create a tri-fold brochure about yourself and what you can do for his or her agency. If the agent says he/she doesn't have room, offer to work from home until they have a space open up. Ask to shadow a few of his/her producers so you still learn the biz from the inside.

Sounds like you are eager to get started, so that's good. But try thinking outside of the box instead of settling.

Best of luck!!:yes:

I agree with crabcakes he's right on the money. One thing I will add to that note, is you may want to consider doing group to round out your product offering, it is competitive but brings higher commissions and is guaranteed issue unlike some individual plans, also I agree to set weekly appointment and quote objecvtive, all of us in this business have had some trial and error, just don't take too long firguring out the right course of action could be death to a career before it gets started.

There are so many markets an agent can be successful working in this business and different ways to do it. But it all comes down to one thing:

If you have a steady flow of prospects, you can be with the worst company and be successful. If you do not have a steady flow of prospects, you can be with the best company and fail miserably.

I wouldn't worry about companies as much as proven ways to have a steady flow of prospects. Here's a hint:

No company will put you in front of a steady flow of prospects. That is 100% on YOU.

Each product and market has a proven way to have a steady flow of prospects. The problem is most captives don't have the answer to the prospect flow issue. They figure they will throw a bunch of mud at the wall and see which agents stick around. There are a few, notable exceptions.

You can get hired by virtually any company you want if you show up and tell them you will do as your told and won't quit until you are successful. What manager would turn that down? Most have recruiting quotas they need to meet, just because a job isn't advertised, doesn't mean it does not exist. I wouldn't hesitate to find an agency you desire to interview with and walk in to introduce yourself.

That being said, before you look to interview, I would find out what market you want to work. Start looking around and asking questions about the numbers it takes to make it. What marketing method is proven to be successful, what numbers does it take to make it work, and most importantly, what would you have to do on a daily basis to be successful? Get those answered, then start looking for a home.

Last edited:
Go on line and put in an application for a career position with Guardian, Mass Mutual, NYL, Mutual of Omahan, Western Southern, Monumental, Combined, AGLA, Metlife, etc. You can do that from almost everyone of their main websites. They will then contact you and the ball will be rolling. You will soon learn that there are many other options you haven't consider. Because they haven't run an ad in your market doesn't mean they aren't looking for someone. I wouldn't consider AFLAC, BLC, or NAA. I think that American Income is actually a better option than those three but is still down the list.

Why not look into church mutual. I know by me they have a very good product and you obviously have a good understanding of that market.

Go to the Final Expense forum and read my EFES thread if you want the experience of a newb (me) starting in the insurance industry (June 2011).

My suggestion is to delineate what your present skills are. You need to be honest. Can you sell? Can you close? Can you work a prospecting system diligently?

If you don't want to work the phone or door-knock cold, and can invest $3000-$7000, look into EFES, Securus, or order leads.

If you can put up that kind of money comfortably, but need training, go with EFES or Securus.

If you object to investing money into a lead generation system, then contact Frank Stastny to learn how to cold-call for Medicare Supplements. Or reference the "Survey from Door-to-Door" thread if you'd rather cold-knock for final expense life insurance.

If there's a will, there's a way. Assess your skills and appetite for financial risk and choose one of the above routes (if you're venturing into the Senior Insurance niche).

-Dave

Ok, I am going to put the cat amongst the pidgeons here........so here goes.......go captive......for 6 to 12 months.

I was captive for 2 years and when I started 10 years ago, and had I not been captive I would not be where I am today.

Too many people on here think that what decision you make will be the last decision you can make......not so.

Join one or two captive organizations, find out which market you want to be in, the type of products you want to offer then when you are ready, go alone.

Whilst going Indy is possible from the get go.....its an uphill battle.

Its interesting that the ones that recomend going Indy actually got into the business as a captive..........

Back