What's his best timing to enroll?

beachbum2012

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Guy I'm working with just turned 65 on June 30th. He qualified for Medicare early because of a disability so his A & B effective dates are 3/1/18. He's getting COBRA from his former employer and they're paying for all of it, and it covers everything from what he makes it sound like.

He wants a medsupp, so when's the best time for him to enroll in it and a PDP? I was thinking it'd be best to wait until a 12/1 effective date for his medsupp. That way he can enjoy his free COBRA for as long as possible, and still take advantage of his Medigap OE period.

But that got me thinking about his Part D plan. If his COBRA is not creditable Part D coverage, he could have a LEP. If it's not creditable, when's the latest he can sign up for a PDP and not get penalized? In September, for a 10/1 effective date? I believe he gets a 2nd IEP even though it overlaps with his 1st one. If it is creditable, does he have an SEP to have his PDP start 12/1 along with his medsupp?

Anyway, am I missing something? I'm just trying to help the guy have the best coverage and spend the least amount he needs to.

Guy I'm working with just turned 65 on June 30th. He qualified for Medicare early because of a disability so his A & B effective dates are 3/1/18. He's getting COBRA from his former employer and they're paying for all of it, and it covers everything from what he makes it sound like.

He wants a medsupp, so when's the best time for him to enroll in it and a PDP? I was thinking it'd be best to wait until a 12/1 effective date for his medsupp. That way he can enjoy his free COBRA for as long as possible, and still take advantage of his Medigap OE period.

But that got me thinking about his Part D plan. If his COBRA is not creditable Part D coverage, he could have a LEP. If it's not creditable, when's the latest he can sign up for a PDP and not get penalized? In September, for a 10/1 effective date? I believe he gets a 2nd IEP even though it overlaps with his 1st one. If it is creditable, does he have an SEP to have his PDP start 12/1 along with his medsupp?

Anyway, am I missing something? I'm just trying to help the guy have the best coverage and spend the least amount he needs to.

Correct about the PDP enrollment. If the COBRA is creditable he'll have a special election when that ends. Otherwise his 2nd IEP ends 9/30.

what state is he in? Depending on the state and his health and how long he gets the free Cobra maybe he should run it past his open enrollment. And guarantee issue into a plan F or G depending on the state and specifics. I disagree with not touching this one, as you'll be able to work with this guy in the near future.

Somarco: why are you advising I walk away? Because it could be an E&O claim? The guy is a referral from a happy client, and I'll go the extra mile to make sure that whatever's recommended is in his best interest. That's a lot more than he'll get if he tries to get help from his benefits department, or calls a carrier direct.

Kstein, he's in Nevada. That's a good idea about GI. I could call a handful of carriers and see if they'd consider him GI or not. AARP usually considers Plan G as GI. However, I don't know how I can both "not touch this one" and "work with this guy in the near future" as I'll need to steer him in the right direction now if I'm going to write him later.

First I need to get more concrete answers as far as when COBRA started, if his drug coverage is creditable, etc.

Oh, and please no PM's from agents saying they're licensed in NV and offer to "help". kthx

I see no reason to walk away in fact I see this as a way to shine and develop the relationship further.

There are quite a few unanswered questions, and mixing COBRA with Medicare is a mess.

I presume you have not bothered to read the links provided.

This guy has probably messed up by continuing COBRA and Medicare. Yes, you might be able to get a GI Medigap which usually means $25 commission or less.

Is this a potential E& O claim?

Probably not.

He just wants someone to fix the mess he created.

Good luck.

There are quite a few unanswered questions, and mixing COBRA with Medicare is a mess.

I presume you have not bothered to read the links provided.

This guy has probably messed up by continuing COBRA and Medicare. Yes, you might be able to get a GI Medigap which usually means $25 commission or less.

Is this a potential E& O claim?

Probably not.

He just wants someone to fix the mess he created.

Good luck.

Must be different by state. I get paid full commmission on GI.

Back