What's his best timing to enroll?

First I need to get more concrete answers as far as when COBRA started, if his drug coverage is creditable, etc.

You might make inquiry as to why he is allowed to keep COBRA after being Medicare eligible.

My experience is limited to one case, but in that case when I had both Parts A and B, I was required to drop the Medical portion of my Cobra coverage. The employer's group plans were structured in a way that drug coverage was part of the medical package I was required to drop. I was allowed to continue with the separate dental and vision policies.

I keep rereading the thread and keep wondering why your potential client is allowed to keep cobra coverage that "covers everything" after he gets eligible for medicare.

And why would the employer agree to pay for cobra coverage after former employee is medicare eligible? Are there other family members that are still eligible for the cobra coverage?

It seems to me that either Somarco's comment about your potential client not properly handling Cobra/employer/Medicare coordination is right or there are additional facts for the situation that you have not yet uncovered and told us about.

Yeah, I don't think he's giving me all the facts. It sounds like from him is that his insurance may be part of some disability settlement. And he may have mentioned that their coverage will just last the rest of the calendar year. I do need to get more exact info from him.

But that's why I post these non-traditional cases on here. I appreciate all the feedback.

And Bob, I did read the links you shared. I even read them before you shared them because I did some searching before I posted this thread in the first place. I wouldn't say his situation is a mess. He's not paying anything for his healthcare coverage now besides his Part B premium.

You might make inquiry as to why he is allowed to keep COBRA after being Medicare eligible.

My experience is limited to one case, but in that case when I had both Parts A and B, I was required to drop the Medical portion of my Cobra coverage. The employer's group plans were structured in a way that drug coverage was part of the medical package I was required to drop. I was allowed to continue with the separate dental and vision policies.

I keep rereading the thread and keep wondering why your potential client is allowed to keep cobra coverage that "covers everything" after he gets eligible for medicare.

And why would the employer agree to pay for cobra coverage after former employee is medicare eligible? Are there other family members that are still eligible for the cobra coverage?

It seems to me that either Somarco's comment about your potential client not properly handling Cobra/employer/Medicare coordination is right or there are additional facts for the situation that you have not yet uncovered and told us about.

It's really too bad you are not a licensed, experienced, agent. You would understand and be able to contribute to a thread instead of asking questions, within questions. If you would like me to address the questions you raise, within this thread, please sent me $100 in cash. I refuse to help you understand for free.

Ds4 for the win. As employers try to turn over their Workforce, this is becoming more and more common. I've seen this more in the last year than I have the last 10 combined.

He's not paying anything for his healthcare coverage now besides his Part B premium.

Whether his employer is paying the COBRA or not is irrelevant. COBRA and Medicare are not a good mix.

I have a client that wanted to keep COBRA after turning 65 plus have Medicare and a supplement and drug plan. I told her to pick one or the other but not both.

She opted for Medicare, Medigap, PDP and dropped the COBRA.

Had she kept COBRA and enrolled in A & B I would have dropped her as a client.

In her case she was paying the COBRA premium. It wasn't bonused to her.

Your prospect would have probably been better off to ask the employer for a cash settlement and drop the COBRA @ 65. Even if taxable to the (former) employee would have been a better and less complicated deal for him.

It's really too bad you are not a licensed, experienced, agent. You would understand and be able to contribute to a thread instead of asking questions, within questions. If you would like me to address the questions you raise, within this thread, please sent me $100 in cash. I refuse to help you understand for free.

Telling us how superior you are because you know the answers, and we don't, does not help the op solve his issues.

Re $100, if you need an allowance, ask your mother.

Telling us how superior you are because you know the answers, and we don't, does not help the op solve his issues.

Re $100, if you need an allowance, ask your mother.

You, asking questions within questions, gets the conversation off point! You muddy up every thread you post in. You personally ran off WSMason!! He is gone because of you! You have no personal knowledge of any situation or question asked in this forum. So, you copy & paste. Unlike you LD, I’m a financial success. I give my mother money. Yes, I am superior to you.

Back