What's Needed to Get Started

jorkenkho

IL
I have interviewed (been recruited) by several companies and now need to make a decision. I need some advise for the experts here:

1. No insurance experience-but I do have sales experience
2. Not sure what products to go with: Health, Life, Final Exp, etc. What's a good place to start?
3. How good is Health Choice One for a newbie?

Not a fan of cold calling as I've done it for several other jobs. I don't need this career to carry my family so I have time to build it without worrying about mortage, food, etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Listening to "New Agent Essentials" webinar now and will probably listen to it over and over again. Good stuff.

Thanks,
GS:goofy:

If you like the New Agent Essentials webinar, check out the other one I've got linked in my signature.

Many life agents start in the final expense market. It's a fairly easy sale, and the methods of prospecting there are predictable and tested. I wouldn't want to sell FE forever, but it's a good way to get your feet wet.

Life insurance is a beautiful product - it can be as easy or as complicated as you want it to be. Just want the simple stuff? Sell final expense and maybe some mortgage protection. Want to get more complicated? Help your clients liquidate underperforming investment assets to fund two SPIAs, one for investment replacement and one to make annual gifts to an ILIT for wealth transfer. You can find your comfort zone, work it, and then evolve upwards and onwards - as long as you're willing to bust your ass to do it. Of course, if you're giving advice about securities then you'll need the proper license.

John Petrowski at the IHIAA can speak more intelligently about getting started in health insurance than I can. I will say this - I started in health myself, and it made the transition into life insurance a hundred times easier. I already had a foundation for what I was doing and I was able to cross-sell my existing book of business. That having been said, if I had to start over again today I'd start as a life-only agent, but I don't regret what I did.

As to your last question, HCO is a fine place for health agents.

Last edited:
With your sales experience HCO will be a good place for you to call home. Keep in mind you don't have to buy everything known to mankind, website, etc if it's not within your budget, buy leads and sell, get the essentials, you can earn money and then add additional tools to enhance your sales ability anytime thereafter.

:1wink:

I have interviewed (been recruited) by several companies and now need to make a decision. I need some advise for the experts here:

1. No insurance experience-but I do have sales experience
2. Not sure what products to go with: Health, Life, Final Exp, etc. What's a good place to start?
3. How good is Health Choice One for a newbie?

Not a fan of cold calling as I've done it for several other jobs. I don't need this career to carry my family so I have time to build it without worrying about mortage, food, etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Listening to "New Agent Essentials" webinar now and will probably listen to it over and over again. Good stuff.

Thanks,
GS:goofy:

Very good point, you should note that you may not receive commissions for a little while after starting so a salary may serve you well.

Good luck, whatever you do. But getting a salary and training from a captive company when you start your career...Well...Consider it.

Back