what's the deal with maternity?

vphealth

i was recently appointed with humana and spent a couple frustrating hours over the weekend trying to quote maternity as a rider only to find out yesterday that it is no longer offered in florida.

next i read one report that GR has a maximum of 7,500 payout for maternity and read elsewhere that the maximum is 4000, only covered at 100% after the first year (during which it is covered at 50%).

what is your take on this and what would your go-to plan/company be for a young family with no issues that needs maternity?

H1 dropped maternity a few months back. It was overpriced any way.

Can't say for your neck of the woods, but GR has the best maternity benefit for the price in GA.

$7500 would cover a normal maternity on a per diem with cash left over in Atlanta. Even half that would cover most of the cost.

The benefit is $4000 here. They also have a lower option for $2500 but I never quote that.

And for what it's worth. . . . no one NEEDS maternity. They just think they do.

Without maternity my wife and I would have been in dire straights.

She caught the Parvo virus and ended up needing weekly testing - 10 weeks - to make sure water polyps were not forming. Also on special meds for that which is tricky for pregnant women to be on any meds.

Also got gestational diabetes and needed treatment for that. got admitted for the birth and they had to induce, however she had a reaction to the potosin which caused her lungs to fill with water.

So if anyone's telling you that you don't need maternity - well stated by someone who obviously didn't have any complications.

Thank God we had coverage. There's an emotional aspect to going through all that without coverge that I wouldn't wish on any woman.

GR's benefit is 100% completely lacking and a total joke. Write Assurant in GA for maternity or Kaiser and don't leave your client hanging with GRs limited maternity coverge.

It's not about cheap rates - it's about maximim protection.

what is your take on this and what would your go-to plan/company be for a young family with no issues that needs maternity?

If you mean in Florida as I think you do, Blue Cross has the best maternity alternative, hands down.

Being that it may not be available to you, Assurant/Time would be the next best choice.

If you are in an area served by Avalon Healthcare, that would also be a better alternative than GR...

i haven't seen the bill for my wife's c-section 5 weeks ago, a 4 day stay in a beautiful private room. but i bet it's way over 4000. why would someone not need it? even without complications.

maternity is usually about 100 bucks more a month. (the plans i have looked at). that's 1,200 if you have it a full year before (bcbs only required us to add it 30 days before conception). if your baby is delivered for 1200 it's on a wood floor covered with hay.

maternity is usually about 100 bucks more a month. (the plans i have looked at). that's 1,200 if you have it a full year before (bcbs only required us to add it 30 days before conception). if your baby is delivered for 1200 it's on a wood floor covered with hay.

Yeah, but what was the deductible?

My experience is that the BCBSFL maternity with a $2,500 deductible is about $100/month.

$1,200 in premiums + $2,500 deductible = $3,700.

That's just about what a normal labor & delivery would cost if you made pre-paid arrangements at St. Joe's here in Tampa...

Sorry, there's no free lunch.

Back