what's the deal with maternity?

Write Assurant in GA for maternity or Kaiser and don't leave your client hanging with GRs limited maternity coverge.

GA? General Agent or State of Georgia?

Now granted, I don't have an "association", but I did see clearly in his first post he said "Florida"...

Now I know you are a nationwide expert (do you know the "Pajama Man?"), but maybe, just maybe you should get into the habit of reading a little more closely.

in many cases you're going to pay more in premiums for your plan then you'll file in claims. Let's just ditch the health insurance concept altogether and roll the dice.

Great advice.

You're right, it IS great advice.

Especially since any complications of pregnancy (Caesarian, etc. are covered under the major medical portion of the policy.

Sometimes I feel like I'm in a "battle of wits"...

...with an "un-armed" man.

Well, this nationwide expert seems more in line with offering protection then statment like "you'll pay more in premiums then you'll receive in benefits."

Let me let you in on a secret Paul.....the carriers make a profit which means it's set up for you to pay more in then you receive. It's called "insurance."

I've paid, on average, $300 per year for over 5 years = $18,000 and have yet to use a fraction of that.

Am I getting ripped off?

Audience - when possible fully protect your clients who need maternity with a plan that has no limitations.

You're right, it IS great advice.

Especially since any complications of pregnancy (Caesarian, etc. are covered under the major medical portion of the policy.

Sometimes I feel like I'm in a "battle of wits"...

...with an "un-armed" man.

well...you're already set up to lose this battle. If you read the policy you'll notice that only certain conditions are covered under complications with most carriers - which are not stated in most brochures but stated in the policy.

So...to the FL expert - Paul, which complications of pregnancy are covered by GR? Are all complications covered - even pre-natal? Are all complications of the birth covered?

Let's hear from the expert since I already know the answer.

Well, this nationwide expert seems more in line with offering protection then statment like "you'll pay more in premiums then you'll receive in benefits."

Let me let you in on a secret Paul.....the carriers make a profit which means it's set up for you to pay more in then you receive. It's called "insurance."

Oh man...here we go again, your ignorance is showing.

Since you like documentation, how about we post our transcripts from the American College in Bryn Mawr, PA for the "Risk Management" course HS-something or other.

Do you have one?

Let me let you in on a secret:

A dollar of insurance should not cost a dollar. Simple concept: you pay me $100,000, and I give you $100,000 of insurance. Who's that a good deal for? Who collects the interest on the $100,000?

Sh*t, I can even surrender my bet at the blackjack table for fifty cents on the dollar when the dealer has an ace showing!

So the client pays $3,700 for something he could pay $3,700 for.

What kind of "protection" is that?

In all fairness guys...for the companies that do offer maternity but the actual maternity benefit or deductible doesn't cover maternity complications. Some of the plans will still cover the complications and etc its just subject to the regular plan deductible and co-insurance. If the client did'nt have maternity covearge they'd be paying all those expenses oop. Better to be safe whether natural or a complication arises dont you think?

Last edited:
Better safe - always.

I've give our FL "expert" a hand with GR's maternity:

"....but it does not include: false labor, mild preeclampia, edema, prolonged labor, doctor prescribed rest during the peroid of pregnancy, morning sickness, and conditions of comparable severity associated with management of a difficult pregnency, and not contituting a medically classifiable distinct complication of pregnancy."

It also classifies a complication of pregancy as one caused by pregnancy. For example, in my wife's case of Parvo virus - it was not caused by pregnancy nor it is listed in the included complications to which my wife would have had no coverage.

from the policy what complications of pregnancy does GR cover?

Who said anything about GR? You. Not me. Are you somehow blinded with anxiety?

If you go back and read the previous posts carefully, you'll find that I said the best ifp maternity options in Florida were in order:

Blue Cross Blue Shield
Time/Fortis/Assurant/Time
Avalon Healthcare (if in a service area)

The example I posted was with Blue Cross Blue Shield of Florida. I never mentioned Golden Rule!

Man, if you're going to be president of an association, you better get a grip.

I'm gettin' ready to put you in the dmiller90 (your buddy) lunatic fringe category.

Back