what's the deal with maternity?

My advice stands:

Always off the maximium protection if it fits in your client's budget. I would not recommend GR in Georgia if they needed maternity if I could put them in another plan without a maternity cap.

But hey, that's me. I don't believe there's any wrong answer here - just a matter of recommendations.

You won't have much longer to contend with the maternity issues... all the carrier are going to opt out of offering it. Coventry's new Fusion plan doesn't have it and GR won't insure you if you've had a cescerean in the past....

HINT: YOU GET 9 MONTHS NOTICE TO SAVE-UP! (John... don't bother with the complications response.... we call it being self-insured)

Mark -

Coventry doesn't offer maternity on their current plans either. H1 dropped maternity from their offerings a few months back.

I would have to dig up my notes, but I don't think C-sections are an issue with GR in GA. Had that come up a few months ago and did a pre-screen. It is an issue in some states, notably Colorado.

Not going to argue the point either way and I am too lazy to find my notes.

Blue and KP will probably continue to offer it. All the others are mostly priced out of that market so it doesn't really matter any way. If someone wants it, I give them the options and let them decide.

Mark -

I would have to dig up my notes, but I don't think C-sections are an issue with GR in GA. Had that come up a few months ago and did a pre-screen. It is an issue in some states, notably Colorado.

Didn't mean to suggest that Coventry offered it one and not others... the point was that they don't offer it and even with a brand-new plan just introduced they won't touch it.

Big article in the AJC this week about GR not insuring previous C-Section women.

Food for thought.....

Aaaaaand......now.

moonlightdj3.jpg

Dang it Paul. Now we will never find out if we can get a discount on cable TV by joining the association.

Moonlight has it right. BCBS, then Assurant, then maybe Avalon. I'm not 100% on Avalon's stability, however they're one the the 3 with maternity.

BCBS costs the most, correct me if I'm wrong. Assurant is always my niche company for maternity.

Humana bailed recently. GR's is supplemental at best.

Forum, please disregard agents from other states feeling the need to post their worthless 2cents.

first: i feel proud that it was on MY thread that moonlight and healthagent finally ticked each other off enough that healthagent hit the ignore button:D

second: my particular case was this...

i originally had bcbs through my wife's work. i called to get the dealio on maternity and they told me that after added i would have to wait 30 days before conception. i waited 30 days and called to make sure, then did the dirty. 500 ded, about 100 more a month.

halfway through the pregnancy the office my wife works at switched to humana HMO premier. my deductible went up to 1500 but after my call they assured me that ELECTIVE c serian was fully covered after the deductible. so total cost to us was: 1000 give or take (10 months) + 1,500 (ded) = 2, 500.

Back