What's the Heck is a CAC?

Yagents

Guru
5000 Post Club
Arizona
Well, it's explained in the 474 additional CMS guidance just released.
Or, you can read the synopsis from L&H below which I read as a glorified medicaid navigator similar to SHIP for medicare:
http://www.ofr.gov/OFRUpload/OFRData/2013-00659_PI.pdf
------------------------
CMS -- an arm of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) -- proposes, for example, that it would create a new category of advisors, " Certified Application Counselors" (CACs), to help low-income consumers sign up for Medicaid and CHIP plans.
The application counselors would provide "the same core application assistance service that is also available directly through the exchange," and through independent exchange ombudsmen to be known as "Navigators."
The application counselors also would provide services similar to the services provided by licensed agents and brokers, officials said in the preamble to the proposed regulations.
"The distinction between these entities is that application counselors are not funded through the exchange, through grants or directly, or licensed by states as agents or brokers," officials said. "We believe that this separate class of application counselors is important to ensure that skilled application assistance is available from entities like community health centers and community-based organizations that may not fit in to the other categories."

Well, it's explained in the 474 additional CMS guidance just released.
Or, you can read the synopsis from L&H below which I read as a glorified medicaid navigator similar to SHIP for medicare:
http://www.ofr.gov/OFRUpload/OFRData/2013-00659_PI.pdf
------------------------
CMS -- an arm of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) -- proposes, for example, that it would create a new category of advisors, " Certified Application Counselors" (CACs), to help low-income consumers sign up for Medicaid and CHIP plans.
The application counselors would provide "the same core application assistance service that is also available directly through the exchange," and through independent exchange ombudsmen to be known as "Navigators."
The application counselors also would provide services similar to the services provided by licensed agents and brokers, officials said in the preamble to the proposed regulations.
"The distinction between these entities is that application counselors are not funded through the exchange, through grants or directly, or licensed by states as agents or brokers," officials said. "We believe that this separate class of application counselors is important to ensure that skilled application assistance is available from entities like community health centers and community-based organizations that may not fit in to the other categories."

wow very interesting. We get approx 5 calls daily for people looking for Medicaid/low income plans and would love to help these people but cant. I'm wondering if agents would also be eligible to be licensed CAC's? Hmmm

I'm wondering if agents would also be eligible to be licensed CAC's?

doubt it.

See below as quoted from Bill's post

application counselors are not funded through the exchange, through grants or directly, or licensed by states as agents or brokers,"

Another set of regulations, another 2 to 3 billion dollars added to the cost of Obamacare. I don't think Obamacare is anywhere near being adequately funded, yet HHS keeps dreaming up new ways to spend money that isn't there.

CAC's will be funded by HHS
CAC's will NOT be licensed
CAC's will be certified by HHS to ensure competency and accountability.
CAC's / Agents / brokers/ Nav's - will use the same training materials

Now I'm just waiting for a rule that states we can't cross sell anything........and when it comes, I can't seem to find a reason to hold a insurance license or E&O.

Elimination through back door rules? Dismantling of the role of an agent?

Here comes the Chumps Chant.....3.....2.......1......GO

It looks like I need to get licensed in Colorado. I wonder if pot smoking will get a tobacco surcharge?
--------------------------
The exchange will also rely on existing private insurance brokers to help educate customers. In doing so, it will be navigating its own tricky shoals of conflict of interest.
Federal rules prohibit navigators from making money off their recommendations, but the Colorado exchange says brokers will be a separate group from navigators and will have to fairly represent all insurance plans sold through the exchange.
"We welcome brokers to the table. We're going to need as much help as possible," said exchange director Patty Fontneau.

Read more: New Colorado health exchange may sign up nearly 1,000 people a day - The Denver Post New Colorado health exchange may sign up nearly 1,000 people a day - The Denver Post
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: Terms of Use - The Denver Post

It looks like I need to get licensed in Colorado. I wonder if pot smoking will get a tobacco surcharge?
--------------------------
The exchange will also rely on existing private insurance brokers to help educate customers. In doing so, it will be navigating its own tricky shoals of conflict of interest.
Federal rules prohibit navigators from making money off their recommendations, but the Colorado exchange says brokers will be a separate group from navigators and will have to fairly represent all insurance plans sold through the exchange.
"We welcome brokers to the table. We're going to need as much help as possible," said exchange director Patty Fontneau.

Read more: New Colorado health exchange may sign up nearly 1,000 people a day - The Denver Post New Colorado health exchange may sign up nearly 1,000 people a day - The Denver Post
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: Terms of Use - The Denver Post

wow somebody actually appreciates what we do for a living... hard to believe.

Back