What's Up with Assurant?

Is Assurant tanking or what? They have said to stop selling there products. Anyone have any reasons as to why this is? And does this mean the same thing for Ancillary?

Yea, I was shocked on this in Florida. I stopped selling Assurant the minute I got the email notification. Sad. They had good plans.

Perhaps, they are just closing the doors like I have with P&C carriers - to make sure they perform well & hold their risks. I wrote an HO3 the other day, and found 2 carriers were closed in my area. I wish the P&C would send me a notification like I get in health. ;(

I should clarify. They are still paying commission in some states.

My (perhaps incorrect) assumption is that in the states where they were competitive, they got more enrollees than they could handle. In the states where they are paying commission, their plans aren't all that great.

I've been told that they pulled commissions to stop enrollments because they were so backlogged-they couldn't pull out because that would leave them out for 5 years.

If you read between the lines they could possibly bring back commissions at any time (next OEP) but it will never be at the previous level. I'm sure they will also adjust plan benefits to stop being the preferred provider for people with health issues who want a national, comprehensive PPO network.

Back