What's Your Best Sales Technique?

100kinssales

Expert
I am interested to know what are some of the best sales techniques you are using right now.

We could all use some sharpening.

What are your best tips and tricks?

You don't have to share them if you don't want, but if you do, let's hear it!

OK, here's one I came up with after I got frustrated on multi-interview life appointments without an app (not FE).

Ever had the situation where you do your first interview, go back to the office, crunch number and do case design and set another appointment, trot back out to the prospect and present the stuff, they want to change up a few things so you run back to the office, play with case design and set another appointment, trot back out to the prospect and hope to finally get an application?

I added this to my phone talk prior to going on the appointment, so try and fit this in and see what happens. This sorts out tire-kickers from serious buyers and up-front you know if you might be wasting your time.

Basically, I'm letting them know we're not going to have anything certain and firm until we know if and how they qualify, which means they have to write an app and leave a deposit:

“When I come out to visit with you I want to assure you that its impossible for us to do business together the first time we meet. Basically I’m going to ask you a lot of questions, some might even be uncomfortable – are you going to be ok with that?
At the end of our time together, there might be some areas where you think I can help you, and many people will ask me ‘how much can I get’ or ‘how much will this cost?’ and I have to tell you now, there is no way I can answer that honestly. In fact, no one can answer that and if they say they can they’re lying.
The fact is, you’ll have to go through the underwriting process and that can be a little difficult. It means I’ll have to fill out an application, ask you some medical questions, maybe even schedule a medical exam, and you’d have to be willing to leave a check on deposit which is fully refundable if it doesn't work out or you don't like the results.
So again, at the end of our time together if you see no value in what I do will you please tell me ‘no’ so I'm not left hanging?
But if you happen to feel like you’d like to learn more, to see if there’s a solution, are you going to be ok with completing an application to see if you qualify, give me some documentation, and a refundable check?
Of course early in the actual appointment I basically repeat this in so many words. It sets the expectation of what is going to happen and it has led to many more apps at the first appointment, and once they get into the process the momentum takes over and they take the deal.

After all, if they get rated, then they better take the deal now because things can get worse. And if it turns out great, within their budget, they better take the deal now before things get worse.

I tend to never over sell a policy because it can be deemed as just trying for another sale. The first thing you want to do with a client is build a repor/ relationship. Ask them what they are looking for and find a policy that you think will fit them best. Give them options and soon enough they will close with a signature.

If one has to use "tricks" to sell insurance then that is probably the wrong business for them to be in. What happened to being honest and telling the truth?

Insurance agents have a horrible reputation and using "tricks" is one of the main reasons.

Educate the prospect using factual information presented logically so they can understand it. Help them make well-informed intelligent decisions regarding the type of insurance that will be in their best interest. Don't try to "trick" them into something just to make a commission.

He also asked for tips, got any of those?

If one has to use "tricks" to sell insurance then that is probably the wrong business for them to be in.

Concentrate on qualifying the client, not disqualifying them.

Have defined presentation, never wing it, be prepared up front with qualifying questions, do an in depth needs analysis, present value and then provide a solution, and then close. If necessary answer any questions and close again.

Put the customer's needs above your own and the money will take care of itself.

Remember, people make purchases based on value and service.

;)

I learned to sell in the car business.

1. Qualify -ready, willing and able to buy

2. Presentation - build features and benefits until they are 1 cent over the price and it's sold. Plan your presentation from start to finish and be consistant so if you are stopped, you know where to pick up.

3. Assume the sale - ask for driver's license

When I started in health insurance I asked an experienced and top agent how to sell it. He said to sell it over the phone and go to the house to write an app and get a check and it worked, easy as pie.

You can qualify a prospect over the phone as to their needs and ask what they want to accomplish. With a laptop you should be able to conduct business on the first appt. Agents somehow think that there's no such thing as a one call close. That's not true. Any strong and knowledgeble agent will do it on the first appt. As was already mentioned, we don't know if the prospect will qualify. When I went on LTCi appts I told the people let's just apply for the best plan and see if we can get you approved and then we can change it to fit your budget and they will have had time to learn more about LTC plans. If you approach a prospect and don't take control at the beginning, you probably won't get the sale. I've seen it done both ways and I'll take the assertive approach anytime. If you make it sound complicated then they will be afraid.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.:cool:

Back