What's your selling point to clients?

J2727

Super Genius
What's your selling point or value offer to clients aside from potentially lowering their rates?

What do you do for them that's above and beyond just checking their rates every year?

Stay in touch year-round obviously.
Help with claims?
What else?

Great question. I tell my customers up front, I happen to sell, but I'm not a salesman, I am your consultant. Other agencies will at times offer lower priced policies, but my job as your advisor, to give you the answer you need to hear, not just the answer you want to hear.

We all have access for the most part to the same core group if carriers, so choose your consultant wisely and you will never need to shop again because we will get you the best price for what you need. Choose another agency, and you'll find you'll just get the best price... and you never need insurance until you do.

What's your selling point or value offer to clients aside from potentially lowering their rates?

What do you do for them that's above and beyond just checking their rates every year?

Stay in touch year-round obviously.
Help with claims?
What else?
Besides my knowledge and groovy personality, I have unbeatable customer service. They know that if they have a problem, I'll fix it for them. They KNOW that they can count on me.

They also know that they can trust me to have their best interests at heart and I'll give them the best coverage for the best premium. I save them money when changing companies...but don't necessarily go with the cheapest. Just told someone that I recommend going with this company that's $3 a month more, because they have a good history of reasonable rate increases on their Medicare Supplement.

Credibility. Gotz to have that street cred.:yes:

Disclosure: I don't sell P&C and never have. However, I believe that this mentality will help you have more effective engagements for your prospecting efforts.

In prospecting, my job is to bring my expertise to bring clarity to their financial decisions, even if they decide not to buy from me, because they can't see how it can benefit them, or it just doesn't feel right. Remove the risk of meeting with you that you don't need their business if it doesn't feel right. Most agents aren't secure enough in their ability to be able to engage their communities on that basis.

Sidney C. Walker ~ Sales Training, Sales Coaching & Sales Tips

The only downside, is that you could engage in, what Sandler Training would call "unpaid consulting". However, if the decision isn't comfortable for them, they won't buy anyway. And if I don't engage with people (or enough people), I don't even have a shot at their business.

While Sid Walker's training is primarily geared towards life insurance and financial advisors, I believe it can work for anyone who is in the prospecting business. You can access a great deal of Sid's prospecting training for FREE at his site here:

www.sellingwithoutwrestling.com

The only other change I might recommend, is to incorporate the word 'compete' into your introduction, such as "I'm contacting you to see if we can compete for your business, but we only want your business if it feels right to you and makes financial sense" - something like that.

I have gotten really good at asking for referrals so ultimately everyone that is talking to me is doing so because of my reputation. With that said, the number one reason is price. After that, it's coverages, service, and claims handling, which all tie together.

How do guys help when a client has to file a claim (car accident, storm damage to home, etc.)?

Coach them how to file a claim?
Help find or recommend an adjuster?
??

I've heard many people who were very upset when they had a claim and the agent did nothing to help.

I have gotten really good at asking for referrals so ultimately everyone that is talking to me is doing so because of my reputation. With that said, the number one reason is price. After that, it's coverages, service, and claims handling, which all tie together.
Alot of brokers say its a red flag when price is the customers #1 concern because it means your ability to retain their business is significantly less than someone who covets VALUE in conjunction with the price. Since most people feel as though they won't need insurance anyway, showing value can be a tricky thing. You can't force someone to believe in a service they think they will never utilize.
How do we sniff out customers who are going to price shop all the time?

Great question. I tell my customers up front, I happen to sell, but I'm not a salesman, I am your consultant. Other agencies will at times offer lower priced policies, but my job as your advisor, to give you the answer you need to hear, not just the answer you want to hear.

We all have access for the most part to the same core group if carriers, so choose your consultant wisely and you will never need to shop again because we will get you the best price for what you need. Choose another agency, and you'll find you'll just get the best price... and you never need insurance until you do.
I've always tried to position myself as a consultant rather than a salesman, and its worked well. I'm not yet licensed to sell insurance but I've spent a fair bit of time day dreaming about how I can be a consultant for potential customers rather than showing up like every other salesman does.

Since we're all carrying similar lines, the thought has definitely occurred to me (as DHK pointed out in his post) that prospects could just hop from broker to broker acquiring all the information needed, and not pay for any of it. I suppose its a good problem to have because it means you're giving them quality advice that one day may save their ass, and while they may not personally buy from you, many others will.

Since we're all carrying similar lines, the thought has definitely occurred to me (as DHK pointed out in his post) that prospects could just hop from broker to broker acquiring all the information needed, and not pay for any of it. I suppose its a good problem to have because it means you're giving them quality advice that one day may save their ass, and while they may not personally buy from you, many others will.

At some point, to take advantage of the protections offered by insurance policies offered through the advice and recommendations of agents, they have to buy at some time, from some one.

Generally, shopping for insurance is a painful process. Your goal ought to be the "least painful, lowest risk" consultant for anyone to deal with, so that those you work with want to BUY from you and take your advice long-term.

All you have to do is be different enough from your local competition. Let me share with you a concept. LEAP Systems teaches a "Person A vs Person B" concept. Both are identical in every way except a given financial strategy. Person A does one thing, while Person B does something else. It wasn't that "Person B" superior to the other. It was in the failings of "Person A".

You are in competition with what your prospects THINK they are going to experience from working with you. Your job is to change the perception as it relates to YOU and you should win more appointments on a "least painful, lowest risk" basis.

Just my thoughts. Again, I've never sold P&C before, but I think that if you truly DO care about people, and they can sense it, and that you'll let them make the best decision for them... you'll win more appointments and close more deals on a relationship basis.

Last edited:
Awesome post as usual DHK. As someone who will soon be licensed and ready to dig in, I've spent hours on this forum. I always enjoy reading your posts. There's gold nuggets in all of them and much of what you post transcends different types of insurance coverage a broker can sell.

I look forward to one day giving back to this community.

When it comes to sales, people don’t really care how much you know until they know how much you care.

The insurance market is so saturated with 1M+ of agents running around chasing the same clients. Everyone says I have the best product, best price, best service, best this best that .. really? The minute that agent walks out the door, the next one comes in will say the same thing. No differentiation whatsoever.

Back