When Can You Switch a Med Sup?? OEP

Greenhorn

Expert
Iowa
Lets assume they have drug coverage.

The way I'm getting this is, it all depends on if they have a drug card/part D. If they do... then they have to switch drug coverage also.
I'm also Interested in what happens after OEP with Med Sups.
Not a fan of MA's. Who can help a brother out?
Greenhorn:cool:
</IMG>

The way I'm getting this is, it all depends on if they have a drug card/part D. If they do... then they have to switch drug coverage also.
</IMG>

Med Supps have NO election period. A beneficiary can switch Med Supps as often and at any time they wish. They will have to qualify unless they are under certain gaurantee issue periods.

Med Supps have NO election period. A beneficiary can switch Med Supps as often and at any time they wish. They will have to qualify unless they are under certain gaurantee issue periods.

That's correct,but, after April 1, they are locked in to their MA plan and cannot drop it. While they are enrolled in an MA plan, a med sup will not pay, so, they would be throwing money away if they enrolled in a med sup while having an MA plan.

As to the original question, a person can disenroll from an MA only plan and return to original medicare during OEP. At that time, they could buy a med sup.

A person can disenroll from an MAPD during OEP and return to original medicare. They must purchase a stand alone PDP. Once back in original medicare, they could purchase a med sup.

</IMG>

Hold on a minute.... The replys to the OP assumes MA involvement, and you only state your opposition to them. If your client has a Med Sup and a PDP, then the PDP is totally separate and does not have to be switched. As a matter of fact, they can't be switched during the OEP, as the OEP is for switching PDPs either tied to a MA plan or needed if a MAPD is dropped in favor of returning to Original Medicare and subsequent enrollment in a Med Sup. As stated in a prior post, OEP is for MA plans and has nothing to do with Med Sups unless a MA plan is involved.

As far as WHEN a Med Sup can be switched, the answer is anytime BUT must submit to underwriting at the new carrier at their descretion (some may waive this requirement for a current Med Sup policyholder). Underwriting is mandatorially waived in only those states having GI (Guaranteed Issue) such as MO and CA. In the case of MO, the GI period is each year the month either side of the policy anniversary date .... in CA I think it is the policyholder's birthday. Any other time than those months, even in the GI states requires UW.

So, to answer your question, the client may switch Med Sups, but must leave the PDP standing. Whether he CAN or not depends on whether he qualifies by UW.

Last edited:
I couldn't tell exactly what he was asking so I posted a booklet about enrollment periods and let you guys do the interpretations.

Back