When is the Best Time to Move a "J" Medsup to an "F" Or"G"??

Ardvark

Expert
Florida
So I have been watching the rate increases on my customers that bought "J" medsups and have not seen a divergence in percentage increase over "F". My thinking was that as long as the rate increases weren't diverging, there was no reason to suggest changing to the "F".

Tonight I decided to look up some info in my medsup producers handbook(on another topic) and discovered that for my UHC J customers, if they decided to switch to another medsup, they have to be underwritten....again. Yes. they still get (original)entry age premium but they must pass underwriting.

The question is,

Should I be approaching these folks to see if they can be underwritten and moved to the F ASAP? Or do I wait for the rates to diverge?

My initial thinking is to pursue this course immediately as a year from now, more would NOT be able to pass underwriting than today leaving them in a closed book and the inevitable rate hikes. But maybe there is something I'm missing..

I'm sure the old hands have confronted this before. Please help me decide.

Thanks
Al

If you move them to F, aren't you just setting them up for round 2 of the situation they are in now? How do the rates of change in J and G compare?

Last edited:
You're learning fast LD!:yes:

Thanks! (And Time Machine development for J is not going smoothly. :no: )

----------

Or (from reading other threads), if this is in FL and this carrier doesn't do G, but will in June, although some more might get locked into J in the interim, wouldn't the overall best strategy be to wait until June when the G comes out and then switch all the "still switchables" to G?

I think that's something worth consideration.

Especially because that happens in June and right now I'm too busy to scratch my butt!!

What's her premium on the plan J? I'm in Florida and I was under the impression that UHC has increased the same for all plans.

Plus, UHC should let them switch to any plan they want no health questions asked.

What's her premium on the plan J? I'm in Florida and I was under the impression that UHC has increased the same for all plans.

Plus, UHC should let them switch to any plan they want no health questions asked.

This is my thinking. It should be a simple plan change phone call at any time.

The only Js I have left are MOO, MOO made a written promise to all J applicants back then that they can have "any plan we ever sell in the future" with no health questions. So far I haven't ever had a problem moving them J to G inside MOO's book.

I was re-reading this thread to focus thoughts to ask another question when I observed the two pieces of information below.

Diametrically opposed information has been presented for FL for the same company (I think?) by two FL agents. This information is one of the apparent drivers of Ardvark's perceived need for action.

So I think the first question becomes:
Which "statement of fact" is correct?

Per Ardvark:
"Tonight I decided to look up some info in my medsup producers handbook(on another topic) and discovered that for my UHC J customers, if they decided to switch to another medsup, they have to be underwritten....again. Yes. they still get (original)entry age premium but they must pass underwriting."

Per Chazm:
"Plus, UHC should let them switch to any plan they want no health questions asked."

I was re-reading this thread to focus thoughts to ask another question when I observed the two pieces of information below.

Diametrically opposed information has been presented for FL for the same company (I think?) by two FL agents. This information is one of the apparent drivers of Ardvark's perceived need for action.

So I think the first question becomes:
Which "statement of fact" is correct?

Per Ardvark:
"Tonight I decided to look up some info in my medsup producers handbook(on another topic) and discovered that for my UHC J customers, if they decided to switch to another medsup, they have to be underwritten....again. Yes. they still get (original)entry age premium but they must pass underwriting."

Per Chazm:
"Plus, UHC should let them switch to any plan they want no health questions asked."

I don't have them, but from what I've always heard, Chaz is right.

Plan Change .jpg

Page 17 of the Producers handbook. Underwriting requirements for plans sold 5/1/2010 and previous is the same as new sales.

I was told the "Change with a phone call" thing also. This appears to be limited to plans with a 6/1/2010 and later plans.

Al
(when I took the picture, I hadn't started drinking. Don't know why it turned out that way:err:)

Back