When Should the Illustration Break Even on an IUL?

jboussea

Guru
100+ Post Club
Quick question .. if I'm running an IUL illustration at 6% if it breaks even right after year 10 ... Is that a sign of a bad product. Keep in mind I'm running a GPT maximum non MEC .

If you can give me more variables (i.e age, sex, annual premium, face, A vs B) I'd be happy to illustrated with LSW Flex Life and F&G Synergy Advantage Gold and tell you what I come up with

Depends on performance but I would say 10 to 15 years would be a good time frame.

I'm just curious but why 6%?

I run at 6% also.

Don't get me wrong, Im not trying to knock on it or anything. It's just above what I usually use so Im just curious as to why? Aside from using a historical look back average as benchmark.

The big question should focus on the purpose not the breakeven point. I've done a bunch that might have less cash value but generate a lot more income because the goal was income. What's the goal?

Ran one today for a 43 year old male at standard and it was positive after year 2. The best income was positive after year 4 or 5 I forget because it wasn't the goal.

If you're running LSW and F&G only you're really doing your clients a disservice. I run them all the time and never use them.

Don't get me wrong, Im not trying to knock on it or anything. It's just above what I usually use so Im just curious as to why? Aside from using a historical look back average as benchmark.

So you are saying you run less than 6? I feel 6 is a reasonable rate that is fairly achievable. I'd say the vast majority of people run 7 or higher. Many probably use the max that will illustrate.

So you are saying you run less than 6? I feel 6 is a reasonable rate that is fairly achievable. I'd say the vast majority of people run 7 or higher. Many probably use the max that will illustrate.

Yes, I usually run it below 6% but not by much. Very rarely will I ever go above it. I usually stay within 4-5.5 depending on the company and the software capabilities, whether it has a mid point or not etc.

I find that setting up an IUL correctly even at 4-5.5 already/usually lasts for life with fairly decent/achievable numbers. I think this is true even at 3%. Apparently Im just very conservative according to other agents Ive spoken with.

Like I said, its just above what I usually run it at. Im not saying I dont, just not often. The exception usually depends on the client as well, 6% is my limit.

Under promise, over deliver?

And you're right, some people do illustrate way higher. Ive seen some go as high as 9-10%.

Yes, I usually run it below 6% but not by much. Very rarely will I ever go above it. I usually stay within 4-5.5 depending on the company and the software capabilities, whether it has a mid point or not etc.

I find that setting up an IUL correctly even at 4-5.5 already/usually lasts for life with fairly decent/achievable numbers. I think this is true even at 3%. Apparently Im just very conservative according to other agents Ive spoken with.

Like I said, its just above what I usually run it at. Im not saying I dont, just not often. The exception usually depends on the client as well, 6% is my limit.

Under promise, over deliver?

And you're right, some people do illustrate way higher. Ive seen some go as high as 9-10%.

Same here.. I was trying to under promise with 6% .. Of course there's alawys the possibility of it doing worse than 6% . but if it does.. I would assume we'd have major problem in the economy

2000-2015 ... started with 3 negative years ... and that 16 year period was .5 to 1% better than 6%

----------

If you can give me more variables (i.e age, sex, annual premium, face, A vs B) I'd be happy to illustrated with LSW Flex Life and F&G Synergy Advantage Gold and tell you what I come up with

27 year old male annual premium is 5000 .. run at 6% ..face b

what's the difference between Synerge .. and F%G lif elite

Back