When to Hire FT CSR?

Smit82

I have a P&C book growing and am up to $600k annual premium. 80/20 PL/CL split. I have a part time receptionist/quasi-CSR. Starting to feel like I am juggling a lot and having trouble servicing existing clients and keeping up with the new business coming in the door.

Any opinions: at what premium amount I should be looking to bring on a full time, fully trained CSR?

By the sounds of it, now.

Your income will almost certainly take a hit, but you should make it back quicker with a CSR to handle your service work.

As soon as you can afford it if you're good at selling and/or value your sanity.

I want to know the same thing...

As a point of reference, on the life side of things I saw other agents hiring 1 staff member FT to handle 3 agent's business....seemed to be a good low-risk way of getting help without over committing to overhead.

Generally I agree with the others...to the extent that you're not selling, you're doing $15 an hour work...

My thinking is...as soon as you can break even by paying yourself and paying your CSR, do it. With the freed-up time you'll be able to write more business.

Just be careful about overcommitting to overhead - whether that's rent, software, or staff. Take baby steps and prepare to go through a few CSRs before you find someone who's good.

Otherwise, I want to hear from other P&C people with experience here. My experience is in life insurance, which other than the comp model is pretty similar.

Back