when to start Part D in this case

russelltw

Guru
1000 Post Club
Client is 70, just got B started for 12/1/18. Found out company will cover client/spouse for 6 months after retirement in Dec. Client is getting info on the details of plan and costs.

If client wants to start Part D in this case, client would need to start PDP within two months of 12/1/18, correct? It would trigger off the B effective date since client is past 65. It is not the start 3,1,3 window for someone turning 65.

Or would the creditable coverage from group allow client/spouse to use the 6 months of group coverage and pick up Part D afterwards.

Sorry, brain dead right now, but want to make sure I am correct on this.

Or would the creditable coverage from group allow client/spouse to use the 6 months of group coverage and pick up Part D afterwards.

Yes

(But if it is a large group plan and they are going to take retirement coverage for just 6 months, They might have been better off to defer Part B enrollment for a few months in regard to MedSupp IEP.)

Agree, client is looking into that for me. HSA coverage is not creditable for Part D, which is usually where I see an issue. Most summary of benefit pages I have seen on group coverage will state that it is creditable if it is.

The more I think about it, if group is creditable then client could use the extra 6 months of group they get to extend PDP enrollment.

It's been a long AEP.

To be creditable, the group coverage must be based on active employment. If your client is retired, the coverage isn’t creditable.

To be creditable, the group coverage must be based on active employment. If your client is retired, the coverage isn’t creditable.

Keep in mind distinctions between Part B and Part D eligibility.

Keep in mind distinctions between Part B and Part D eligibility.

Good point. For example VA drug coverage is creditable for Part D so no LEP consequence there, but for Part B enrollment it's not creditable (for whatever stupid reason) so a person could face a Part B LEP. Fun times!

Back