Where Can I Get Health Insurance?

This has gone on a tangent.

You are not subject to underwriting for any major medical coverage under ObamaCare (and likely forward under TrumpCare). Carriers cannot underwrite and cannot deny based on pre-existing conditions. Been this way for four years now.

Your problem is not medical underwriting, your problem is that you missed the open enrollment period. You can only purchase compliant health insurance during open enrollment or if you experience a qualifying life event outside of open enrollment. From your original post it appears you do not have a qualifying life event.

Come November 1st, you will be able to purchase any available 2018 major medical health insurance plan in your area without underwriting or rate up/denial for pre-existing conditions.

Dave020, it is certainly going to be a rate up to him, especially if he has been used to a group plan and does not qualify for any subsidy....no matter who he/she voted for! :)

To the original poster: as others have said, you can get coverage thru ACA now if u qualify. If not you wait until November. Regardless, I hope you are sitting down when you get ur quote from ACA, pre-exisiting or not! Unless you get a big subsidy, you are going to be in for some serious sticker shock! Good luck!

----------

I am on state health care right now but want to get off so I can start my own business. With Trump's health care reform I am afraid Obamacare won't be around much longer. When I looked for health insurance prior to getting on state health care, I applied at Aetna, Cigna and Blue Cross Blue Shield and was denied by all 3 for pre-existing conditions. As to what pre-existing condition caused the reject, I am not sure.

My pre-existing conditions:
- Turrets
- OCD
- Autism
- Paranoid Schizophrenia
- Dyslexia

In the past 10 or so years, I have only been getting treated for Paranoid Schizophrenia.

Are there any health insurance companies that will accept me?

Thanks!

One more alternative would be a "short term" policy or an indemnity policy BUT most if not all will not cover any pre-x. Meaning....they will issue you a policy but any pre-x condition will not be covered. For your situation it is probably best to get an ACA plan now if you qualify, or wait until Nov. 1st to enroll for a start date of Jan 1st.

Yes unfortunately i think healthcare is going back to the way it was before obamacare. $10k deductibles with skimpy benefits.People again will fear leaving there jobs due to not being able to get good health ins. In the end the only way to solve this is a medicare type 1 payer system were ALL pay into it. There's no other solution. A 55 yr old single male with a $2500 deductible is over $1k a month. Its impossible to sustain these premiums

I am on state health care right now but want to get off so I can start my own business. With Trump's health care reform I am afraid Obamacare won't be around much longer. When I looked for health insurance prior to getting on state health care, I applied at Aetna, Cigna and Blue Cross Blue Shield and was denied by all 3 for pre-existing conditions. As to what pre-existing condition caused the reject, I am not sure.

My pre-existing conditions:
- Turrets
- OCD
- Autism
- Paranoid Schizophrenia
- Dyslexia

In the past 10 or so years, I have only been getting treated for Paranoid Schizophrenia.

Are there any health insurance companies that will accept me?

Thanks!

If you are on state healthcare, we aren't sure if you mean as an employee or essentially, Medicaid. If your income from the business would make you ineligible for Medicaid, the date that ends would be the start date you could qualify for a special enrollment period to enroll in an individual plan on the Health Insurance Marketplace. Another agent posted to contact healthcare.gov. I would second that, as they can evaluate your situation with regards to when you may be able to enroll, other than for 1/1/2018.

Back