Where can I insure a car registered in New Jersey but garaged in Canada?

periphora

I've just purchased a new car, which is registered in New Jersey for the next 3 years, but is currently garaged in Canada (I'm currently living in Montreal for a temporary job - for around 1 year).

Neither State Farm, Progressive, or Geico will insure my car, and I'd like to avoid having to temporarily import the car to get it registered in Canada, as it involves quite a lot of annoying paperwork.

Are there any (reliable) US companies who are willing to insure cars registered in the US but garaged in Canada?

Give Nationwide a shot. There are a lot of underwriting questions missing from their underwriting process, so while your situation doesn't actually fit their model, more importantly, they may not have anything excluding your situation.

If Nationwide doesn't work, try an independent agent who represents many companies in case you have to end up in the Excess and Surplus Lines market.

You might also try an insurance agent in Canada.

I think the explanation still is not enough information. There is a reason that there is a " lot of annoying paperwork." -one of which is that there are vastly different laws between the two countries.

If you have an address in Canada and are living there for one year, then I believe you have your answer.

Even if you were to "get an insurer" to cover you, would you feel comfortable that the insurance would actually hold true in the event of a large accident?

Just love the questions asked on how to get around insurance rules and laws. If the car is garaged in Canada it should be registered and insured in Canada. Some auto policies written in the U.S. cover driving in Canada and liability for an accident in Canada but Periphora wants to skirt the issue of properly registering the garaging address. Do it the correct way and you will have no issues in the future

Give Nationwide a shot. There are a lot of underwriting questions missing from their underwriting process, so while your situation doesn't actually fit their model, more importantly, they may not have anything excluding your situation.
Except likely contract language

Back