Where Do I Learn About Life Insurance?

I would suggest "The Bhagavad-Gita As it is." All other versions fail to deliver the true meaning because the translators are not fully self realized.

"As it is" is by far the best known translation because the author, His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada, was the founder of the Bhakti Yoga movement in the US in the late 60s, often referred to as the Hare Krishnas even though the formal name is the International Society for Krishna Consciousness (ISKCON).

I became a serious student of Bhakti back in the early 90s, but I've never been initiated (like Christian baptism) because I'm not in full agreement with all of the basics.)

The Krishna movement back in the 60s was seen as a direct assault on American Christianity and was reviled by all the traditional Christian denominations as a cult or some form of devil-worship, even though the Gita and the other vedic literature came even before the Old Testament and even the Torah (according to some scholars.)

Of course the Krishna's didn't help their cause by going to airports and shopping centers and "begging" people to buy their books (not flowers... that was the Moonies.) And, of course, they wore the traditional robes of monks, along with shaved heads. (However, we all dressed "strange" in the 60s and 70s!)

What was ironic was that as a percentage of their numbers, far more Jews joined the movement than did Christians. (Surveys show that when Jews leave the religion most become Catholics or Buddhists... not "liberal" Protestants such as Methodists or Unitarians. Go figure.)

Today, the Krishnas are thriving but pose no real threat in numbers to the dominant Christian culture in this country. However, their numbers are growing in Eastern Europe for reasons I don't understand.

I like to read a verse a day (online) from As it Is however many people feel that the purports of Prabhupada need to be "updated" and "edited" to reflect more modern Western thinking, especially as it relates to women's role in society.

One of the best new translations, "The Beloved Lord's Secret Love Song" is by Graham Schweig.

I rather doubt that most insurance agents, being as conservative minded (some would say 'reactionary') as they are could get their head around the philosophy of Bhakti Yoga, but if you are open to a new way of looking at life, death, and the meaning of it all, getting a translation of the Gita (it's very short) would be a start. The Schweig book is excellent, but there are tons of good translations online, again my favorite being As it Is, even with some of the out-dated purports (explanations) of A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada. (BTW, "swami" and "Prabhupada are actually titles which mean "teacher" and "master" but Mr. Bhaktivendanta is held in such high regard that he is simply know as "Prabhupada" (PROB-hoo-pod.) He died in the late 70s but his body of scholarship is more popular today than when he lived.

The Gita is a good and easy read. It's all verse and if you do one or two a day, you will enjoy it.

If you have a fear of death, the chapter on reincarnation might give you some hope and comfort. You might find this article about the gnome showing evidence of reincarnation to be of interest.

If not, it didn't cost you anything. One thing I know for sure. If you have a population of people from a Hindu tradition (usually from India) in your area, knowing something about their belief structure will help you feel comfortable with them, and they with you. (BTW, there is no "Hindu" religion. It's a catch-all phrase for people who believe in basics of the vedic scriptures... the Gita being the best known. There are more sects and offshoots of "Hindu" than there are of "Christian" but they tend to not fight among themselves very often about who is right or wrong (like in the conflict Christians have about baptismal sprinkling vs. dunking.)

I believe that any (every) financial advisor (insurance educator... I know I don't ever sell anything) needs to know a little bit about all things. A little bit of knowledge and understanding of Eastern philosophy would not hurt you in business.

Hare Krsna! Haribol!

Al
Preserve your memories

If you really want to learn about life insurance, spend some time with beneficiaries . . . people who have experienced the "magic" of life insurance.

What you will find is, they really didn't care if it was term or whole life, they didn't care if the policy had a great ROI, they really didn't care if it was purchased from a big "name brand" carrier or not.

All they know is, it did what is was supposed to do.

Pay off bills and allow the family to maintain their previous lifestyle.

If you really want to learn about life insurance, spend some time with beneficiaries . . . people who have experienced the "magic" of life insurance.

The same goes with LTCI. Anyone who has ever had to pay the bills for a family member in a nursing home or assisted living facility "gets it."

Louise, I've read your posts here and the other venues. I honestly believe that it does not take a whole lot to piss you off.

As a wise Zen master once told me many years ago when I was in Hong Kong, "My son, it is far better to be pissed off... than pissed on."

To those like Louise who are easily offended (i.e. pissed off), I echo the advice of Dr. Stanley Freedman: "Ladies and Gentlemen, take my advice. Pull down your pants and slide on the ice."

I'm not really that easily pissed off. I just don't tolerate stupidity.

What you will find is, they really didn't care if it was term or whole life, they didn't care if the policy had a great ROI, they really didn't care if it was purchased from a big "name brand" carrier or not.

All they know is, it did what is was supposed to do.

Pay off bills and allow the family to maintain their previous lifestyle.

Excellent Somarco... excellent and very, very true. Been there. Somehow once that happens, you become a better life ins salesman, armed with that conviction and vision of the difference that the life ins made on the survivors...

Hey Moron (no, Rick I'm not talking to you),

Can AccuQuote.com tell me which carrier has the best Waiver of Premium Rider?

How about which carrier has the best convertibility options?

Does AccuQuote.com really want this thread to come up in google search?

You've already demonstrated that you don't really understand life insurance. I'm sure you are a fine representative of your company. Are the rest of the employees as ignorant of life insurance as you are?

Perhaps, that question should be directed at management. But first let's establish that AccuQuote.com has front line employees that don't really understand life insurance.

Anyone thinking of buying life insurance should use an independent agent who understands who to tailor your policy to best match your needs. And there is no extra cost for having an expert in your corner.

Yes, Denise, you are doing your employer AccuQuote.com a huge favor by sharing with us how little you (and by extension, AccuQuote.com) know about life insurance.

One might expect you to be embarrased by your ignorance, but clearly you are too stupid to understand that you don't understand life insurance. Way to go AccuQuote.com.

Nowadays, there is nothing that cannot be learnt on the Internet and the intricacies of insurance are no different. With one click of the mouse, you can receive hundreds of quotes from insurance companies who will offer you the most affordable rates for your individual situation. If it’s information on the types of policies available or whether you need to know how much coverage to apply for, you could visit AccuQuote.com for more details.

And way to go Denise for establishing such a great link for AccuQuote.com. I'm sure your boss will love you when he clicks on this link.

Denise at AccuQuote
Disclaimer: I work for AccuQuote and this is my personal opinion.

Last edited:
Including how to spell "learned"?

It is acceptable as it is the British usage for the past tense and a past participle of learn.

I would have guessed it was archaic, but apparently it is still in use and considered correct.

Like you, I thought it was wrong. I had to look it up. Seems we're both wrong. It's not too often you and I are on the same side! :D

Back