Where Do I Start? I Just Got My Disability (Health) Insurance License

PSteve

Please forgive me if this has been asked a million times on this forum.

I just got my disability (health) insurance license and I'm wanting to sell Medicare and perhaps down the road look into life insurance too. I'm not much of a salesman, but I know folks need Medicare - whether retired or disabled. A friend works for a state agency as an inside sales rep. They receive a pretty decent salary plus commission. But there are no openings right now.

Where do I start looking for work? Indeed seems to have a bunch of MLM type agency positions and I'm not really looking for that. I don't think I'm looking to go independent until I learn the ropes.

Any direction here would be super helpful. Should I knock out my AHIP now or wait to find an agency that will pay for that?

If you need salary plus commissions check out Humana. I’m not sure what they pay but it used to be decent.
FYI, we are right at the beginning of AEP so I doubt they are worrying about hiring anyone right now. That goes for any company selling health products.
I never knew their was a disability license

If you don't have a mentor to work with, most agents start out captive with a specific company and then make the switch to independent. This will allow you to get a taste for it and make some money while learning. I agree with Chasm that most companies won't be hiring right now since it is AEP. Stay away from call-center jobs. I'm sure there are good ones out there, but most are causing more problems than they are solving.

If you need salary plus commissions check out Humana. I’m not sure what they pay but it used to be decent.
FYI, we are right at the beginning of AEP so I doubt they are worrying about hiring anyone right now. That goes for any company selling health products.
I never knew their was a disability license

How are the T65 webinars working out?
Any numbers you can share?

Thanks

How are the T65 webinars working out?
Any numbers you can share?

Thanks

works well for me. I just started seminars at ihop this month in addition to my webinars.
Webinars are up and down. September was an “up”.
Spent $1,000 on webinars. 68 rsvp, 45 showed up, and 23 appts from it so far. Down months are usually 30 rsvp.

works well for me. I just started seminars at ihop this month in addition to my webinars.
Webinars are up and down. September was an “up”.
Spent $1,000 on webinars. 68 rsvp, 45 showed up, and 23 appts from it so far. Down months are usually 30 rsvp.

How is your closing % from the appointments?
These people are scheduling themselves on your calendar (Calendly, etc.)?

I'm in Washington State, it's what they call it.
I appreciate your advice. I'll start looking into those bigger companies after the new year.

In Washington state, the health line of authority is referred to as "disability." The following terms all mean the same thing:

• Health
  • Disability
  • Accident/sickness
Does this also include "Life" because the only other insurance license is for a surplus lines broker?

How is your closing % from the appointments?
These people are scheduling themselves on your calendar (Calendly, etc.)?

it takes a long time to find out actual closing rate. I’d guess around half though. I have a lot of people that I help delay part b as well. I just signed a lady up who attended my webinar in Feb. You never know when you’re going to sign them up.
Yes, if they attend my webinar, an offer pops up (Calendly link) on their screen to schedule a 1-1 phone/zoom.

Latest posts

Back