Where is the Best Place to Meet with Clients?

Aside from your office, where is the best place to meet with clients?

• Their office

Votes: 18 9.1%
  • Their home

Votes: 128 64.6%
  • A restaurant

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • A coffee shop

Votes: 23 11.6%
  • A golf course

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • Virtual/online

Votes: 21 10.6%
  • Somewhere else

Votes: 2 1.0%

• Total voters

Brian Anderson

Executive Editor
100+ Post Club
Quite overdue to post a new poll question, so here goes...
Aside your the obvious "my office," where is your preferred place to meet with clients?
Looking more for where you feel is the most productive/most conducive place to advance the relationship more than the most enjoyable place. Please feel free to elaborate.

Their home, if we're talking personal planning.

Their business, if we're talking about business planning.

I can learn much more about a prospect in their home or business than I possibly ever could anywhere else.

It's also more important to me that THEY have their information available, than for me to have every single piece of product or research information available to me during an appointment.

Quite overdue to post a new poll question, so here goes... Aside your the obvious "my office," where is your preferred place to meet with clients? Looking more for where you feel is the most productive/most conducive place to advance the relationship more than the most enjoyable place. Please feel free to elaborate.

As mainly a personal lines P&C guy, I do most of it over the phone. There is no way a personal lines P&C guy/gal would have time to meet every client. If the premium starts creeping up to 10k, then I meet them at their office. I want to make sure those clients see me as a professional risk advisor.

their home. they are more comfortable in their home, plus they cant use the excuse "i didnt bring my check book with me"

Their home - even for the small business owner. Less interruptions and as mentioned I get a feel for who they are and care about.

First or second depending on the client, product and distance is the phone.

For individuals wanting personal lines, their home is best for me. There they are in their comfort zones and, if they really are serious about needing coverage, are cooperative when providing info about the issue. For business it is not necessarily best to be on the premises. There can sometimes be distractions in a workplace hindering positive interaction with the client. In the right situation, it is fine to meet at the workplace. Most business clients are very particular about who they trust with their information. Where you meet must put them at ease, and you still may pull teeth to get info. Where you meet the client is usually a function of how far along you are in the process.

Last edited:
For business it is not necessarily best to be on the premises. There can sometimes be distractions in a workplace hindering positive interaction with the client. In the right situation, it is fine to meet at the workplace. Most business clients are very particular about who they trust with their information. Where you meet must put them at ease, and you still may pull teeth to get info. Where you meet the client is usually a function of how far along you are in the process.

I like to open and do the second meeting at their office. Then if possible, close at my office. But as long as they provide a conference room to meet in at their office then I dont really care if the close is in their office.

Their personal office is a double edged sword. You get a better feel for who they are since they will have pictures, diplomas, professional certificates, etc in their personal office. But you also get some distractions as well at times.

But if you ask them to reserve their conference room for the 2nd meeting (which is often the true presentation). Then you often will get zero distractions. phones arent ringing, there is no paperwork in front of them, people arent walking by looking in to see if they are free, etc. A conference room meeting is usually taken much more seriously by the people involved and the people around.

There is one thing I think people are leaving out though, even with individuals.

If a prospect is willing to meet at your office they are a much more qualified prospect vs. letting you come to their house. Especially if you live in a city with a decent amount of traffic.
Also, I have found that people take the meeting more seriously when at your office. The key is to drill down hard on whatever paperwork they need to bring. But with so many things available online now, it makes it easier if they do forget something.

I also like to meet individuals at their office if they are able to. This usually applies to white collar. Often around lunch is best so that you can get both spouses in there. I usually offer to bring in lunch from a nice deli or something. I always ask if they can reserve the conference room for this though.

----------

Aside your the obvious "my office,"

I dont think that is the obvious choice outside of P&C insurance. And the responses seem to back up my theory.
Ive worked at captive life agencies and at independent agencies. I have found that the majority of life & health agents meet individuals in their home. And business owners at their place of business. For most L&H agents I would guess maybe 20%-30% of meetings take place in their office. Especially in the first 3-5 years of their career.

----------

their home. they are more comfortable in their home, plus they cant use the excuse "i didnt bring my check book with me"

Sometimes comfort is not your friend. People are around the same things so they do the same thing. Taking them out of their element and into yours can be a good thing imo.
Plus there can be a lot more distractions at a persons home. Phones can ring, minds can wander about chores needing to be done or bills that need paying, etc.

For an intro meeting I like the home, especially if they are retired. But I prefer to close at the office if possible.

And if they dont bring a checkbook after being reminded then they probably arent all that serious about buying.... jmo from my experience. Anytime a person has come to me requesting insurance, they have never once forgotten their checkbook.

Last edited:
Back