Where to Start? Need Advice..thx

Royalkid

Just got my Life (incl variable annuity) Insurance Agent license (Florida) and am trying to decide what would be my best choice. Captive agent or Independent agent? What I've read on this forum (in a short time) suggests (by some) that starting as a captive agent will get you the experience you need before jumping into your own biz. But I've also read that many feel you're "tossed to the lions" so-to-speak and don't get much training at all (except what you learn on your own).

I already own a service business and it pays the bills and does good, so that'll keep me going without stressing the need to make sales immediately; so I have time to learn the industry and products. So a part of me thinks I can start as an independent and take my time and learn the trade and ease into it (without handing someone else a chunk of $ I worked for)...but I just don't know. I'm totally new and have no knowledge (other than reading threads here)...so any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanx!! :)

Personally, I feel that if you have enough coming in that you don't need to worry about the income from your commission for the first few months (year) and you are a self-motivator, there is no reason you shouldn't start independent. This forum is great for helping you find your feet. If you need to depend on your commissions for income or if you need help learning how to sell yourself, a good captive can be great.

What would it take to get started as an independent agent in Florida? Will companies want to have a "newbie" represent them? Thx!!

Latest posts

Back