Where to Start on Medicare

mplsmm

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
So I have a mother in law ready for Medicare shortly and has amassed 785 brochures and pamphlets and spent hundreds of hours online. Where do I even tell her to start? I will have to take her to meet someone but I won't even know if what they are saying is correct. She is on a very fixed income and would probably buy magic beans if the salesman was nice and my husband and I will have to probably help her out and I would rather that be sooner than later. She has been on very expensive insurance for a while. She is focusing on small things like getting glasses and free gym membership and not on the big things. What is the best part to recommend? What is more important? She is in very good health, no spouse.

So I have a mother in law ready for Medicare shortly and has amassed 785 brochures and pamphlets and spent hundreds of hours online. Where do I even tell her to start? I will have to take her to meet someone but I won't even know if what they are saying is correct. She is on a very fixed income and would probably buy magic beans if the salesman was nice and my husband and I will have to probably help her out and I would rather that be sooner than later. She has been on very expensive insurance for a while. She is focusing on small things like getting glasses and free gym membership and not on the big things. What is the best part to recommend? What is more important? She is in very good health, no spouse.

One of the most important things that she should realize is that all companies have the same coverage. There are a few out there that will have a couple of extra benefits like the gym membership, but watch for higher prices with those.

So, if all companies carry the same health coverage, that means you're looking at price and service. She shouldn't pay one more nickel than she has to. As far as service, it's not necessarily about the company, but more about the agent. Look for an independent agent who can show her pricing for several companies. Do keep in mind that ALL companies have rate increases and sometimes the company you're with will have one that is too big and doesn't make sense for her pocketbook anymore and she'll need to pick up a new company.

If you want that comparison now, just let me know what the zip code is and I can give it to you.

As far as the different plans go, usually you would look at plans F, G, and N. F & G are both the same except that Plan F pays the annual Part B deductible for her. When comparing Plans F & G, just add the cost of the Part B deductible to Plan G and that will tell her the total cost for the year. Most of the time Plan G will be the better deal.

Plan N is a bit different. She would have copays to the doctor or hospital of "up to $20" for each visit, and $50 copay to the emergency room if used, but if she is then admitted to the hospital the company waives that fee. Plan N should not be used if she goes to the Dr. more than once per month. That's just a "rule of thumb" and there are exceptions to every rule, but in this case it will probably be true.

I hope this helps. If you need anything else answered please don't hesitate to ask it on here or you could simply give me a call and I'll help the best I can. I may also be able to recommend an agent in your area.

She is on a very fixed income

1) What is her zip code? and,
2) What is her income from Social Security & anything else?

Her zip code will determine what Medicare products she can purchase.
Her income will determine if she qualifies for extra help.

Find an independent agent who has been in the industry for a while who is certified to sell all types of Medicare Health Plans i.e. medicare supplements, medicare advantage and stand alone part d plans so you get the whole story - usually the agents cold calling your mom are limited to selling only medicare supplements.Run from an agent that says MA is always better than med supp or vice versa.The best plan is not same for everybody.

Last edited:

As has been said, all plans are the same, regardless of the company. I don't know if anybody noticed that you're in Minnesota...is your mother-in-law?

If so Minnesota, along with Massachusetts and Wisconsin have different variations of Medicare Supplements than the other 57 states. It would be a good idea to find an agent that's familiar with the plans available in Minnesota.

As has been said, all plans are the same, regardless of the company. I don't know if anybody noticed that you're in Minnesota...is your mother-in-law?

If so Minnesota, along with Massachusetts and Wisconsin have different variations of Medicare Supplements than the other 57 states. It would be a good idea to find an agent that's familiar with the plans available in Minnesota.

Hahaha! The other 57 states? Did you do that on purpose?

Hahaha! The other 57 states? Did you do that on purpose?

Of course I did, so somebody would question me on it and I'd get a chance to post this again. Fortunately our current (legitimate) President was born in the U.S.A. and he knows how many states we have. :yes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course I did, so somebody would question me on it and I'd get a chance to post this again. Fortunately our current (legitimate) President was born in the U.S.A. and he knows how many states we have. :yes:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD5gF1Y2na4

:D I thought about Obama referring to having gone to 57 states when I saw your post. :D It's not surprising you'd do it on purpose.

Now you've got me thinking about Bruce Springsteen singing "Born in the USA".

Last edited:
:D I thought about O'bama referring to having gone to 57 states when I saw your post. :D It's not surprising you'd do it on purpose.

Now you've got me thinking about Bruce Springsteen singing "Born in the USA".

Well, Bruce wasn't singing that about O'bama. At :48 O'bama's wife says he was born in Kenya.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
(Incomplete in progress saved in case of internet malfunction)
Except for a link which I cannot find, this is all-or most of what I wanted to say in the Beer portion of the notes. I have spent over 2 hours getting this thought out and am out of time. I will come back tonight or tomorrow AM with additional comments for the Burgers portion.

Hi.
My name is LostDollar.
I am 72.
I am a user. (of Medicare)
I can't tell you about my personal Medicare choice because I promised I wouldn't and I don't have one of Eddie Murphy's special flashlights.

Life experience taught me that employers and wives do not order their priorities with my health insurance needs as the pivot point. I was dropped kicking and screaming into the trough of Medicare. I was terrified because I couldn't swim.

I had no time to amass 785 brochures but that would have been the wrong starting point.

You need the crow's view of the cornfield.

Beer for the burgers--first stuff:

My wife has silver sneakers. She got them at Shoe Carnival. Elevating a gym membership to the top reasons to choose a health plan is likely NOT a good thing.

Use your tax dollars.
(For simplicity I'm calling Mother in Law Mom).

US Govt has a publication called Medicare and You. It is updated each year. Mom will probably receive a copy in the mail. You can find it online. You, Husband and Mom should look at that.

Your state's insurance department has written a similar booklet which you can also find online. (I stumbled onto several of these while looking for info for myself.) Depending on the state, there may or may not be other resources to help the State's citizens with their Medicare information and coverage needs.

SHIP. State Health Insurance Assistance Plan. Every state has one. It may have a slightly modified name and acronym. In Kansas it lives in county offices of the state agricultural extension department. No charge.

https://www.shiptacenter.org/

My advice, first step, make an appointment for you and Mom and use it as a Medicare information gathering and education experience. You may or may not like the counselor or advice -- treat it like a pair of glasses; something to improve your Medicare vision.

The manuals and the visit will give you vocabulary and concepts to help you follow and question and understand and clarify the advice and direction provided by an agent.

Vocabulary:

Parts and Plans:

Look at your hand. Ignore the thumb. 4 fingers. Medicare has 4 Parts.

There is an eBay bookstore that has a tagline selection " as wide as the Mississippi". That's Plans.

Medicare Part B-supplemental insurance and Medicare Part D each contain a selection of plans.

Plans are purchased in addition to the basic coverage costs of Medicare Parts A and B. The character and cost of Plans create much of the buzz and angst about "what to get" for Medicare.

(The following paragraph is oversimplified in relation to Part D)
Medicare Part C is a dietary exchange for Parts A, B and D. It is comprised of plans which may or may not charge you more than the money paid to the federal government for Medicare coverage.

Initial Enrollment Period.
Read about that so you know the relevant deadlines.

In preparation for looking at Part B supplement costs, read briefly about attained age, Issue age and community rating. You can then pursue the relevant items in more detail when you find out the particular price structures used in your state.

Minnesota:
https://www.medicare.gov/supplement-other-insurance/compare-medigap/minnesota/medigap-minnesota.html

"my" accounts:
Winston Churchill had a "victory sign". Two fingers.
Social Security and Centers for Medicare both get involved in Medicare issues.

You can go online in each bureaucracy and create a "MY" account which can be used to review your personal situation.

Last edited:
Back