Where to take AHIP?

Bob_The_Insurance_Guy

Guru
1000 Post Club
Decatur, Ga.
When dad died, I was going to forgo selling Medicare Advantage. Well, my clients don't want me to refer them to someone else, and a few of them have referrals for me.

I'm only getting contracted with Aetna, UHC, and maybe Wellcare. With that in mind, should I just go direct with AHIP, or should I go to someone's website to take AHIP?

I've seen the information about UHC taking away some of their exams if you take AHIP through them, but I am not sure how true that is.

I imagine you get some sort of reimbursement per production with Aetna or Wellcare. I take mine through Humana, Humana pays for mine. Then you just upload/transfer AHIP completion to UHC (they can walk you through how) and you can skip Medicare Basics and maybe a couple other things with them.

With that in mind, should I just go direct with AHIP, or should I go to someone's website to take AHIP?

I don't quite understand the question, because AHIP is AHIP - so I'm not sure why you would go to someone's website to take it.

Many carriers will link directly to AHIP (maybe what you were talking about?) and give you a discount of some sort. By all means - take the discount.

Once you take the exam through AHIP - you can transfer the scores from AHIP to other carriers. Of course, you'll still need to do some carrier specific training. By taking AHIP, you'll have flexibility to transfer that "work" to multiple carriers.

By the way, if your Book is predominantly Med Supp, AHIP allows you to get the PDP comp, which isn't a ton, but it adds up with some scale. We all complain about the work that goes into the PDP, myself included, but if streamlined and focused, it can be worthwhile.

I don't quite understand the question, because AHIP is AHIP - so I'm not sure why you would go to someone's website to take it.

Many carriers will link directly to AHIP (maybe what you were talking about?) and give you a discount of some sort. By all means - take the discount.

Once you take the exam through AHIP - you can transfer the scores from AHIP to other carriers. Of course, you'll still need to do some carrier specific training. By taking AHIP, you'll have flexibility to transfer that "work" to multiple carriers.

You can get a discount or end up taking it for free depending on what company's website you go through a different how much business you write.

SSHAFRAN - that is what I meant. some companies have the link on their site.

Cenla Agent - I don't see myself doing that much business. I have referred many people out to other agents, here in Atlanta, but some would rather stay with me.

By the way, if your Book is predominantly Med Supp, AHIP allows you to get the PDP comp, which isn't a ton, but it adds up with some scale. We all complain about the work that goes into the PDP, myself included, but if streamlined and focused, it can be worthwhile.

I have a question in relation to the PDP work. There was a thread recently about comparing PDP plans. I think there was another that mentioned printing.

Do PDP agents have to print and save an annual PDP report for each PDP client?

I have a question in relation to the PDP work. There was a thread recently about comparing PDP plans. I think there was another that mentioned printing.

Do PDP agents have to print and save an annual PDP report for each PDP client?

Have to print them? no.

I do make a pdf most of the time when I remember, though, and just drop it in the CRM attachment section. It saves headaches later when they call and wonder why drug x is exactly what you quoted before they forgot.

I'm beginning to understand what you all talk about when you talk about the work for PDP plans. I can't get a good system going just to consistently check a short list at two stores for myself. for an agent: If you follow kgmom's suggestion to check all the pharmacies, that's create a drug list and do two runs to check Kroger, Walgreens, CVS, and WalMart. Maybe one or two more. Then save the list (ings?). Then communicate with the client. Then rerun the list for a replacement generic drug? Then do scope paperwork and application forms if the plan changes. And worry if the CMS formulary is correct. Makes my head spin! (Thanks for the answer.)

I'm beginning to understand what you all talk about when you talk about the work for PDP plans. I can't get a good system going just to consistently check a short list at two stores for myself. for an agent: If you follow kgmom's suggestion to check all the pharmacies, that's create a drug list and do two runs to check Kroger, Walgreens, CVS, and WalMart. Maybe one or two more. Then save the list (ings?). Then communicate with the client. Then rerun the list for a replacement generic drug? Then do scope paperwork and application forms if the plan changes. And worry if the CMS formulary is correct. Makes my head spin! (Thanks for the answer.)

Personally, I don't want to check pricing at 4 pharmacies. I don't even want to check 2 or 3. My process is "What pharmacy do you prefer?" They say, "Walgreens" and I'll run the numbers based on Walgreens and only Walgreens.

I'm not going to go the extra mile and waste time to try to find out if CVS is estimated annual of $723 when Walgreens (their preferred) was estimated annual of $797. Sure, the extra step may have saved them $70.

But to me, that's like saying, "Hey, let me come over and clip some coupons for you - because Milk with coupons is $1.95, and milk without coupons is $2.55."

In short - keep it simple - check their preferred pharmacy - find the lowest estimate based on that pharmacy.

(For the record, part of my reasoning isn't because I'm a heartless capitalist. My reasoning is simple: We can "shop the planfinder" all we want and find "the best deal" and "recommend that they move from Walgreens to Wal-mart" all we want - and some will - but the following year, I guarantee they'll say, "You know, I liked that plan, but they made me use Wal-mart and I really wanted to use Walgreens." In other words, I don't find "clipping coupons" for them to be of much help.)

For the occasional "I don't have a preferred pharmacy - I'll use any one that is cheap" I'll still try to get them to tell me one or two then I'll run those numbers (around here it's normally Kroger and Walmart).

Back