Whether I Need LT Rider with a IUL

Nov 10, 2014

1. scrittyh

scrittyh New Member

Ameritas as a good IUL with free chronic and critical illness benefits.

2. Hopwood04

Hopwood04 Super Genius

State:
    Illinois
    I have run Ameritas IUL quotes against Midland and Midland was much more superior product. Wasn't really even close.

3. jboussea

jboussea Guru

Do you think TA is a viable option when it comes to IUL?

4. SParker

SParker Expert

State:
    New York

@DHK

DHK, can you share why you are not a big fan of IUL? I realize that this post is from 2014, wonder if you still feel the same about IUL. Thanks

SParker, May 28, 2019
  5. DHK

DHK Guru

State:
    California
    I've learned and evolved my position since then. :)

DHK, May 29, 2019
  6. SParker

SParker Expert

State:
    New York
    Fair enough, thanks. I was a little apprehensive of the idea of IUL initially, am SLOWLY warming up to the idea of using IUL for retirement income as opposed to a Deferred Income Annuity, am still educating myself ....

Almost all the illustrations I have seen are done using 6% return, I haven't really played around with the index averages yet but I suspect it doesn't take a whole lot for the return to drop down to 5% or even 4.5% and that will paint a very different picture as far as the lifetime retirement income is concerned.

Of course, to be fair, the return can go up to 7 or 8 % too for the policy.

SParker, May 29, 2019
  7. scagnt83

scagnt83 Worldwide Expert of Everything

State:
    South Carolina
    Always run hypothetical illustrations at lower index returns. That is where you start to see a real difference between various carriers and policy designs.

If your IUL is crashing below 5% when fully overfunded, then you better think hard about selling that carrier.

8. jdumond

jdumond Expert

Agree with this completely. You will see high charge carriers (LFG, Pac, ect.) really far apart under a stress test of 15-30% underperformance. Contractually guaranteed bonus and multipliers are the only ones I will entertain.

jdumond, May 29, 2019
  9. DWPCL

DWPCL Super Genius

I cant even get on board with guaranteed multipliers. The way IUL's are headed is making whole life more and more attractive.

DWPCL, May 30, 2019
  10. scagnt83

scagnt83 Worldwide Expert of Everything

State:
    South Carolina
    I agree about the multipliers. Just more confusion and moving parts for the client. IUL is complicated enough.

Multipliers sound great on the surface... but puts the risk on the client instead of the carrier.

Carriers feel they have to compete against "product innovations" by other carriers. But they would do well to take a hard look at the quality of business they are writing and quality of the policy design all these new agents are selling...