1. jdumond

jdumond Expert

Let's not get too crazy here.....:)

jdumond, May 30, 2019
  2. pfg1

pfg1 Guru

State:
    Virginia
    I agree. I'd much rather have something simple like a 1% floor than a bunch of gimmicky "what if's"

pfg1, May 30, 2019
  3. bluesky3000

bluesky3000 Expert

State:
    Hawaii
    Uh thats gonna be a tough decision, would have to based it on your needs

4. Allen Trent

Allen Trent Guru

I think the DIA & IUL are somewhat on the opposite end of the spectrum from each other.

The DIA is entirely about guarantees and a monthly check that will come like clockwork. On the positive, there is only 1 main risk the client took & that is irrevocably trading a lump sum of cash. The carrier bears the risk that people don't live longer than they priced for & the risk they can earn the interest returns they priced for.

With a IUL, the consumer is absorbing many of the risks to get a hypothetical non-guaranteed income under the assumption of a half dozen items. Risk of the carrier changing cost of insurance, risk of carrier changing cap & participation rates. There is also no guarantee of the current efficient options market will always be available at a reasonable cost that the carrier can have the money from their general fund to buy cost effectively. But designing with minimum face & max funding can minimize these risks somewhat.

However, to give a consumer an IUL income projection as if it is identical to a DIA might be a bit disingenuous. IUL can be great for supplemental retirement, but not sure going through a costly insurance chassis is ideal for monthly guranteed income the client will for certain need. DIA/SPIA or a EIA/VA with lifetime income rider might be better suited.

Saw an aggressive agent once propose a client take a Ford pension buyout to buy an IUL. Basically trade a old outdated guaranteed high pension check based on old mortality tables & old interest rates for an IUL complicated & costly plan that only showed checks for 15-20yrs in best case. I think the agent was clueless & had no idea the client would also get hammered on income taxes to take a retirennt account buyout in lump sum rather than monthly pension or IRA rollover